Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseydave

Daiwa Saltiga Surf 5000 Heavy Action - opinions please

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Been attempting to save up for a high end reel, with my eyes on a VS150 or ZB22.

Evertime I pick one up, I'm turned off by the tension it takes to crank the reel.

I know they are reliable, and well liked, but I don't think I will ever "enjoy" the stiffness of the reels.

Looking at what the other options might be in a reliable, well made, salt and sand resistant spinning reel I've found myself considering the Saltiga.

I'd be pairing it up on a 10' Lami SS, and would probably be swapping it onto a jetty rod as well in the future.

I'd appreciate any input you might be able to offer.

Thanks,

Dave

The Saltiga Surf is not what I would consider tough by any means.

Not saying it's not a good reel, it is - but if you're going to be dunking it and exposing it to a lot of sand issues it's probably not your best choice. Those uses are where the VS, ZB, Penn 706, Natil, Crack 300 and Mitchell 396 PUM reels shine.

I don't bring my Saltiga Surf near rocks or waves. It's strictly a long throwing open beach reel - and it excels in that situation.

go vs, i dont know why every thinks theyre so stiff. its not a big deal. i dont think its stiff at all. saltigas are probly nice as hell, but its nice knowing that you dont have to worry at all ,when you throw your reel in the sand.

I don't have a Saltiga Surf, but do have the higher end Saltiga's Z4500 and 6000GT and love them both. If I were contemplating dropping a reel in the sand, I'd stick with the VS (no experience with ZB here). Smooth reels generally have very close machining tolerences that can be counter to what you're considering a reel for. I also don't understand people's remark regarding "stiffness" of the VS reels. Not a big deal if you ask me.

View Postgo vs, i dont know why every thinks theyre so stiff. its not a big deal. i dont think its stiff at all. saltigas are probly nice as hell, but its nice knowing that you dont have to worry at all ,when you throw your reel in the sand.

View PostI don't have a Saltiga Surf, but do have the higher end Saltiga's Z4500 and 6000GT and love them both. If I were contemplating dropping a reel in the sand, I'd stick with the VS (no experience with ZB here). Smooth reels generally have very close machining tolerences that can be counter to what you're considering a reel for. I also don't understand people's remark regarding "stiffness" of the VS reels. Not a big deal if you ask me.

Maybe it's just because they're brand new, or the used ones I've handled aren't broken in yet, but every VS I've picked up felt like it was binding up to me. I'm not talking a little stiff, I'm talking exerting real measurable force just to get the rotor to turn.

The only comparison I can make is that when the reels I've been using feel that stiff it's because they're either very sandy and binding up, or something is broken.

Dave

With the VS or ZB, you will not have to worry about over spinning the spool (like you would with the smother models) and having to slow down your retrieve to present your lure correctly.

Just another reason to buy one.

View PostWith the VS or ZB, you will not have to worry about over spinning the spool (like you would with the smother models) and having to slow down your retrieve to present your lure correctly.

Just another reason to buy one.

The Saltiga Surf has one of the slowest retrieves of any spinning reel currently made---3.6:1.

View PostThe Saltiga Surf has one of the slowest retrieves of any spinning reel currently made---3.6:1.

DJ, Jersey Dave says (heading) he's considering the Saltiga Surf 5000, which has a 4:1 ratio, perfect for heavy surf use. It's the 5500 and 6000 that have the 3.6 to 1.

View PostDJ, Jersey Dave says (heading) he's considering the Saltiga Surf 5000, which has a 4:1 ratio, perfect for heavy surf use. It's the 5500 and 6000 that have the 3.6 to 1.

Still slower than the VS 200 or 250 which are 4.2:1.

Hey Dave. Why not get both a VS and a Saltiga Surf? A VS200 would be perfect for your 10ft Lami SS. The Saltiga Surf would be good for your jetty rod if it's not heavy surf conditions. If it is, then put the VS on the jetty rod. It's that simple. Best of both worlds. cwm40.gif

I have the Saltiga Surf 4500. It does have a very silky smooth retreive like some Shimano reels. Thanks to it's Digigear. Bought it at the end of last year's fishing season. Don't know how the drag handles yet, but it seems strong. Definitely not dunkable. Like Sudsy says, good for open beaches throwing long range. I'll be using mine on jetties with a 9ft rod. I'll live with a few splashes on the reel if water does come up on the jetty. biggrin.gif When it's real surfcasting, my VS, Nautils, and Spinfishers take leading roles. wink.gif

View PostHey Dave. Why not get both a VS and a Saltiga Surf?

No reason other than $$$

I'd have no problem owning three or four of each!

Discretionary spending at this point is leaning away from more than a grands worth of new reels.

Dave

That Daiwa is kind of a like a Ferrari while a VS is kind of like a 4x4 pickup.

What do you want to do with it? If you want to rifle long casts from dry sand and invest some time in maintenance then the Saltiga will serve you well.

If you want to ride your reel hard and put it away wet, the Saltiga likely will not.