Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WoodyCT

My new shop buddy

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

That's a family friend in the pics- he teaches advanced classes for Woodcraft up in Albany NY. He's pretty good with the skew.cwm31.gif

Junior spun a mallet and a light saber handle from green maple that day.clapping.gif

Dad turned 3 Gibbs-ish pencils out of some cheap buy decent pine furring strips I found at Lowes.

Jon

I think its great that your teching him how to use the shop, too many peple out there who can't even hang a picture of the wall, have to pay someone to do almost anything.

Oh, get him a face shield, can't be too safe with the kids.

"That's a family friend in the pics- he teaches advanced classes for Woodcraft up in Albany NY."

Woody, I think it's great you have the time, opportunity and patience to teach this young man hands-on skills. Too many children don't have this opportunity or are too busy being couch potatoes. Teaching safety should be a part of the process. Next lesson should include respirators/dust mask, face shields for all participants and not wearing baggy clothing around a lathe.

Keep up the good work. He will have a skill for a lifetime.

Great to have an apprentice to work with. Mine is due in August, I guess it will be a while before he/she is old enough to do some actual work but I gaurantee you they will be watching from the beginning. LOL. Great set up you have there as well. Im sure you will use respirators regulary as the photo was just that a photo oportunity. I was told a long time ago by a wise old man, "what you teach them when they are young will stay with them for a lifetime"

Thanks for the tips guys.smile.gif

Lots of discussion on this subject was had that day. That soaking wet green maple wasn't throwing any dust as it came off like shredded cheese.cwm27.gif

Anyone know where I can pick up a kid sized face shield?

Jon

The fellow teaches and he allows the boy to turn without a face shield and respirator?

I think you guys are lucky to have a tracher on site like that. clapping.gif

What lathe is that? I like how the controls are up over the headstock.