Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBreese1

Questions about Stockton College

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

My daughter is graduating high school this June and will be starting college this Fall. Richard Stockton College was her first choice out of the colleges she apply'ed to. We went down for a 2nd visit on Superbowl Sunday and found the campus deserted. We walked through the whole long building and only ran into 2 girls leaving the library. They said that most students go home for the weekends since there are no classes on Fridays. The meal plans also seem geared to a 4 day week. We are concerned that she will not like it there and not get the full social experience of college. We just came home from our second visit to East Stroudsburg her 2nd choice and her mother and I feel she would be better off there. The campus is much more active, [more Like T.C.N.J. where her older sister goes]. I would like to get some firsthand experances from members here who attend or have attended either of these two colleges. If you dont want to post, P.M's would be fine. If anyone has the time and would be kind enough to talk to us please P.M. me a phone # and when would be a good time to call. This is a major decision for her and we would like to ger her as much information as possible.

Thank You

Jim Breese

College experience for your daughter?

I can sum it up for you.

First you beers.gif and then you beers.gif some more and then you passoutcwm33.gif and then you wake up with a headscratch.gif and then you get beatin.gif and then you beers.gif and then you cwm33.gif and then you wake up with a headscratch.gif and then you get a beatin.gif and then you get the point...

I heart.gif College.

" target="_blank">

Barrell, Thats the kicker. She wants to study marine bioligy and enviromental science. Stockton has the edge over East Stroudsburg in those subjects academically, But we are concerned about her whole college experance. We just dont think she will be happy there. She is torn between the 2, but favoring stockton, we would prefer E. Stroudsburg. I still hope to hear from some past or current students.

Thanks for any input

Jim Breese

J Breeze listen. I recently transferred this semester to this college and so far its great. My major right now is Marine Biology as well. They have a great program here with extremely and I mean extremely nice professors. I think what happened is that when you came is that usually lots of people go home for the weekends me included but you should not worry about it too much because there are always people here to take care of someone. But for me I love this college so far. I personally had the choice of either going to Rutgers by me or Stockton which is an hour away from where I live. I am so glad that I made the choice. I think she would enjoy the faculty and the Marine Science classes down here. They even have their own field station. The people down here are extremely polite or most of them that I have come into contact with and are eager to help with any problems. As for the mealplan I do not have one because i thought it would be better for me to buy my own food. I personally like this college with all its surroundings included. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to reply or send me a pm.

View PostBarrell, Thats the kicker. She wants to study marine bioligy and enviromental science. Stockton has the edge over East Stroudsburg in those subjects academically, But we are concerned about her whole college experance. We just dont think she will be happy there. She is torn between the 2, but favoring stockton, we would prefer E. Stroudsburg. I still hope to hear from some past or current students.

Thanks for any input

Jim Breese

Ohh, I was a past student but you dont want to hear about the Stockton of the 70's That would scare you off. Marine biology? Stockton is the choice. She will be hanging out over here in Brigantine. A lot of student rent houses over here do be close to the beach. If shes not a surfer she will be come one. Let go ...she will be fine an someday you will have grand childredn and you get to start all over again raisng kids.

I just graduated from stockton.

I don't think the term "commuter school" is a fair term for it.

There are a lot of commuting students yes, but there is also a lot of people who live on campus.

Within the next 3 to 5 years stockton is building lots of new housing, the reason it was a commuter school is because there was not enough housing, but the school recently built a lot of new housing for students.

I would recomend Stockton to anyone.

All of the professors are top notch, a lot of academics and a whole lot of "in the field" type of teachers, and the small class size, I think, really attributed to me learning the material instead of cramming and forgetting it.

It is also not in a city type atmosphere, but in the woods, and more important 10 minutes away from AC, Hamilton mall, brigantine, Egg harbor, etc... you can be safe where you sleep and still have easy access to "culture"

We also had a full time state certified police force (NOT security guards, real cops) who were very professional and courteous and realize they are on a college campus and give the student some leeway. The current chief of police, glenn miller, is a top notch guy, retired state trooper, and genuinely cares about the students safety and appreciates the lee way students need to be given. He also offers courses at the school.

All in all a great school, and the Marine Bio program is top rated.

That sounded like an ad... either way it was a very safe and secure school, the only thing it lacked was on campus greek row type crap, but there are a number of very organized fraternities and sororities organized and ran on campus, and most have an off campus house for students who want to use it or can not get housing for whatever reason.

I graduated from Stockton a few years ago. Its definatley a laid back place. And while people do go home on the weekends there are a great deal of people that stick around too. I lived on campus the first year and in Brigantine the rest. I loved the school..small class sizes, you can get in touch with professors, campus is pretty nice with all the woods, the people are good, i surfed and fished so..you know the lake is right there, and the beach is right down the road... The surrounding area is nice, a lot of stuff to do and for marine bio, you cant beat it. Def a cool place.

Meal plans...stay away!! i cooked my own food, definatley worked out way better all around. That caf stuff is nasty and not always open.

If i found a job down there i would have stayed. I really really like it down there. Plus no traffic! My brother is graduating this semester and is never home. You dont need 20-30K students to get the college experience...remember youll be out 60-75k when its all over...ive seen a lot of motivated people i went to high school with fall hard on their faces and are still trying to recover. in and out in 4 years with a degree.

I have a daughter in TCNJ and a son going to Stockton next fall and another to Monmouth. It is not just a commuter school, many do commute as even freshman are allowed cars and it is in the middle of nowhere. My daugher has friends that go there and all of them love it, they are never home. I have no qualms about sending my son there, they are offering nice packages and their status is picking up.

As for the social scene, not to worry, kids adapt and theres plenty of socializing going on. Just a short 10 minute ride from campus there is civliization.

Out of E. Stroudsburg or Stockton, I'd take Stockton hands down, both academically and socially.

JB, ive been goign to stockton for four years now.

i orignally went to Albright College in Reading PA, played football for my freshman year, but blew out my knew yada yada yada..anyway didnt want to pay the 36,000 a year to i left..

i went to stockton and i love everyday there. ill be graduating next semester but my brother will be entering into stockton. if you want your daughter to have the college expierence let her live on campus, alot of kids do. the halls were empty because either everyone was in class, or it was jsut a bad timing.

stockton has alot fo sorieties an frats (toolbad academy), an they have alot of sports, i dunno about your daughter but my girl is head cheerleader so if she was ever interested in that i could help ya. stockton is cheap, i pay for my own tuition, so thats a plus. almost everywhere of the campus is new or getting renovated. the teachers are awesome, it has a highschool classroom feel. meaning your in a class with 15-35 kids at most. you build personal realtionships with teachers so they are never afraid or to busy to help you out. any more questions let me know.

Thanks guys, This is what I was looking for. Real first hand experiances. Spig, I also have an older daughter who is a Junior at TCNJ. I cant say enough about the school. This daughter has different interests and different course needs. I think we will do another road trip back to stockton again this weekend and hope the place is not deserted again. Thanks for the reply's and please keep them coming.

Jim