Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skate Bait

Tica Dolphin SE 10000

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Here's how my 8000 tica held up after one season. I am not alone on this, others have had the same problem with breaking at the same point. Yet some have no problem with the tica dolphins. I think I paid $90.00 new, $50.00 sounds like a deal. Good luck

P5080001.jpg

P5080002.jpg

I have 2 Dolphin SE8000's and have had no issues using them as bait and wait reels. One is 6 years old but only used in the spring. There is a lot of stem flex, so I'm not surprised with johnpa's problem. Perhaps if he described the exact conditions when it broke you could avoid them? It's not a metal bodied reel. The SE and SF may only differ by color, the SF being blue I believe. The ticaglobal site for the US is under construction so that's no help. mad.gif You might check the European site to see if that model is listed. $50 used in good to excellent condition sounds reasonable.

The SE is a lower gear ratio than the SF. The SF is really fast (as fast as the Daiwa Emblem Pro). Unless you are speed plugging you should be OK.

The stems on the Dolphins are quite flexible because they are graphite and hollow (under the gold emblem on the stem). They are definitely a lift with the rod and reel back down unit. Not a winch 'em in reel. They are long casting, braid friendly, and have a silky drag. $50 is a good deal if it fits your needs. - HPD

View PostI have 2 Dolphin SE8000's and have had no issues using them as bait and wait reels. One is 6 years old but only used in the spring. There is a lot of stem flex, so I'm not surprised with johnpa's problem. Perhaps if he described the exact conditions when it broke you could avoid them? It's not a metal bodied reel. The SE and SF may only differ by color, the SF being blue I believe. The ticaglobal site for the US is under construction so that's no help. mad.gif You might check the European site to see if that model is listed. $50 used in good to excellent condition sounds reasonable.

I was dead sticking the surf at the time, had a nice knock down and raised the pole from the sand spike, applied slight pressure with rod and fish on. The drag was working just fine, and after the first run off I began to notice that my reel felt wobbley and felt stiff to reel in. Had a second run off and that's when it broke in my hands. To sum it up , it broke under the pressure of a 17lb. bass, which I managed to land using the hand over hand method. This reel worked very well for me the first season. Then ??

I dont know if this is true for JohnPa but if you travel w/a non-metal bodied reel in a car-mounted rod holder with the reel resting on the stem (can be vertical or horizontal) and you have bumps & pot-holes that can contribute to the stem breakage [is that a clear explaination? headscratch.gif ].

I remember one time I got disgusted and threw my rod butt into the sand and the reel snaped off at the stem from the force-and this was a metal bodied reel!!! redface.gif

Otherwise, I have a Dolphin reel and it was TOTALLY abused & neglected for 2 years by my son (& fishing partner wink.gif ) but still runs fine! It winds on braid very nicely-as good or better than even high priced reels. One negative is that the metal/chrome covered plastic parts oxidize & the metal wears off quickly. But @ $50, GO FOR IT!!!! biggrin.gif

Yikes, that's a scary pic. I picked up a used SE8000 here on the bst for 40clams couple of years ago. I got it mostly out of curiosity and what's one more back up reel anyway.

It cast's pretty nice, suffix braid friendly, and very smooth. Have not fished it hard by any means though, only a smattering of small blues when I used it, plugging only.

View PostThe SE is a lower gear ratio than the SF. The SF is really fast (as fast as the Daiwa Emblem Pro). Unless you are speed plugging you should be OK.

The stems on the Dolphins are quite flexible because they are graphite and hollow (under the gold emblem on the stem). They are definitely a lift with the rod and reel back down unit. Not a winch 'em in reel. They are long casting, braid friendly, and have a silky drag. $50 is a good deal if it fits your needs. - HPD

HPD: On a reel with an intact stem, what would happen if the stem was drilled and a metal rod pressed in?

Would there be enough surface area in the hole to grip the inserted rod in a permanent interference fit?

Or are the cavities in the stem so big that too big a hole would have to be bored to provide enough surface area to grip the insert?

In general, what is the failure rate of graphite/plastic/polymer rotors?

Isn't the failure of graphite/polymer/plastic spinners confined mostly to broken stems?