Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clouserkid1

Cobia and kings

4 posts in this topic

a knife when one of those things get u headed for florida cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif all kidding aside in florida on the head boats those frozen sadines catch everything ...

Safety first. Cobia are notorious boat-thrashers if boated green and kings are toothy slashers in close, so be sure they are well spent before bringing to the yak -- but if you're killing one for the yak be sure it is legal first.

========================

Use the Search function to find specific threads like

on kayak rods

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...ght=rods+cobia

And on cobia rods

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...ight=cobia+rod

=================

A live blue, cigar minnow, pinfish, etc. thrashing on the surface is a killer bait for kings (or most predators) but getting it in the path of a king from a yak is another matter.

People throw lots of jigs to cobia but mostly for the casting range. Cobia are suckers for eels and eel-like lures but lots of other things work. Cobia are often found around structure like buoys, etc.

If it were me...I wouldn't bring any of them into my yak without a few good conks on the head by a club.

In Texas, we'll paddle a big Pet Spoon behind our yaks, or a ribbon fish rigged with a stinger hook as Kings are notorious short strikers. Piggy perch, live finger mullet, etc. are also good.

I haven't tangled with a cobia yet, but want to. I've heard that they're pretty curious fish, and will pretty much eat anything thrown at them.

As for rods and reels...I don't get too complicated, a Penn 750SSm on a 20-40 lb 7' spinning rod can handle just about anything you want to catch. Fill it up with some 40 or 50 lb braid and hang on.

Bighead