Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ActionBastage

Opinion on Siwash

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Most dressings are personal preference. What you've done looks great, but only a field test will tell if it will fish correctly for that type of lure. The only way to really know is take it out & throw it, and see how it acts.

I would have used just a little less hair with that combination of materials.

You want to create some added action without killing the action of the lure. Sometimes you've got to experiment to get it right.

I like to dress them as well, and feel it adds to the appeal of the lure most of the time. However, you can over do it. In the thread about dressing trebles for pencil poppers, several folks said that feathers would affect the action. Hair can also affect the action if it's too much hair. Add the feathers & it can make it worse. On chugger type poppers a dressed hook works well. I didn't mention that in the other post,(brain fart) but I did say on any type lure that you "walk the dog" (pencils, sammys, spooks, etc.) the dressed hook can cause problems. Many others said the same thing. I don't feel it hurts chuggers, or swimmers unless you way over dress them. It can sometimes hurt the action on smaller lures that wobble if you over dress too much. I've seen a few dressed real long, but real sparse too! Gives it a eel like movement, and that can work very well!

I use a general rule of thumb of about 1 1/2 to 2 times the hook length for the hair length, and I keep it sparse. I also like to add feathers & flash sometimes. I tie the feathers in the same length as the hair, but trim the flash just slightly longer, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch past the hair, depending on the hook size.

Let us know how it works!

TW,

Thanks.

I've done bulkier when just using Bucktail, first time trying long skinny hackle so backed off some.

This is a big 3oz Salty's fat head popper, its bigger than it looks. Never tried one before but it looks like it can throw some water. Something about tis look reminded me of a squid and felt the need for tentacles, don't ask me why a squid would be popping on the surface smile.gif

Was very tempted to go heavier, so glad you mentioned the sparser aspect and will keep the next ones a bit underdressed.

Just now starting to put the Spring plug and teaser bag together. It may not make it in the water in the early part as I scale down some in size and go rubber and tin and bombers for most part. But it will be swimming as the water warms up.

AB, there's something about the look of grizzly hackle & bucktail! I didn't say it before, but it looks a lot like a Lefty's Deceiver! heart.gif

I agree with unionman, the fish don't care where the squid are when they're eating them! biggrin.gif

For a plug that size, what you have is probably about right then. I think the inclination & misconception of most people is to over dress the hooks because we think more is better. Even I do it sometimes, and I've been dressing hooks for over 40 years. I know better, but sometimes catch myself over dressing them. Human error!

Plus, if you look at a lot of commercially dressed hooks, they're usually over dressed, because they sell better that way, so people copy what they see. Another human misconception, we don't want to buy sparsely dressed hooks! Ask Bob Clouser! Sparse is usually better!

The dressed hook should become an extension of the lure, and add extra action. You can't get that kind of wiggle out of the hard baits that you can out of a dressed hook. I feel that's the big appeal to the fish. Just remember, over dressed hooks don't wiggle much! wink.gif

Keep up the good work! icon14.gif

Very pretty !

Two things, both of which are going to effect (affect headscratch.gif ) your distance

#1. The hook facing up can cause the plug to tumble during the cast.

#2, All that hair is going to cause wind resistance and will cost distance.

You can get away with it and only cost a little bit if distance if you make the tail loop large enough that the tail hook folds back and lays flat against the plug while it's in the air.

View PostVery pretty !

Two things, both of which are going to effect (affect headscratch.gif ) your distance

#1. The hook facing up can cause the plug to tumble during the cast.

#2, All that hair is going to cause wind resistance and will cost distance.

You can get away with it and only cost a little bit if distance if you make the tail loop large enough that the tail hook folds back and lays flat against the plug while it's in the air.

Thanks Sudsy,

Was wondering on the orientation. I set it to be up, not that it stays that way, just hoping. But its hard to tell in the pic but there's a split ring I put in there, big enough to fold flat. Was thinking a bit when I swapped. Hope it works.

Do you think it would fold with the ring?

Still need to turn it down?