Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMacLeod

Fly size question

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Depends on the amount of bulk of material that is used to make up the fly and whether or not it absorbs water, as well. You can probably expect to throw a 5/0 sparse tie well at up to 12 inches and may have trouble with a 2/0 over-bushy fly at only 4 inches. With flies that are difficult, it helps to shorten and stiffen the leader material.

View PostThe largest you can throw! The bigger the bait the bigger the fish!

biggrin.gif I am a believer in that theory.

View PostDepends on the amount of bulk of material that is used to make up the fly and whether or not it absorbs water, as well. You can probably expect to throw a 5/0 sparse tie well at up to 12 inches and may have trouble with a 2/0 over-bushy fly at only 4 inches. With flies that are difficult, it helps to shorten and stiffen the leader material.

So it is a learning experience thing I take it. I can do that. I'll take a trip over to Bear's Den and ask before I buy something I can't throw. Good to know about shortening the leader.

This is going to be interesting compared to catching trout with wooly boogers and bead heads.

Dave also learn to double haul to help in casting bigger flies. Learning to build leaders will also help turn those bigger flies over. If you really want to have fun with big flies grab a spey rod and take that for a spin, very little effort is needed to throw big flies a long distance with a spey rod. If your fishing the ditch a spey rod would be a perfect match just like steelhead fishing some of the big rivers out west.

View PostDave also learn to double haul to help in casting bigger flies. Learning to build leaders will also help turn those bigger flies over. If you really want to have fun with big flies grab a spey rod and take that for a spin, very little effort is needed to throw big flies a long distance with a spey rod. If your fishing the ditch a spey rod would be a perfect match just like steelhead fishing some of the big rivers out west.

thanks Warren, I hope to take a class this spring with Bear's Den. They offer a 4 hr course in April.

It is, but size relates to wind resistance. I'm not looking to throw a 4oz bucktail, just a fairly large profile fly for when the herring show up. (hopefully they show up)

View Posti thought the idea of fly fishing was to cast the weight of the line and keep the lure weight down

It is, but not the fly size in some instances for saltwater applications. Large flies are virtually weightless but have air drag because of their non streamlined shape in some cases.

DMac,

It also has a lot to do with the materials used. Some shed water much better than others.

For instance, I really like Enrico Puglisi's for this reason. The "EP fiber" sheds water so well that the fly is virtually dry to cast once you pick it up off the water making his really large flies easy to cast.

GScott

View PostDMac,

It also has a lot to do with the materials used. Some shed water much better than others.

For instance, I really like Enrico Puglisi's for this reason. The "EP fiber" sheds water so well that the fly is virtually dry to cast once you pick it up off the water making his really large flies easy to cast.

GScott

Thank you for that. This will be a learning experience with some challenge involved.

I like to challenge myself.

dave you should head over to the show the bears den is doing next saturday free all day, lots of tyers doin there thing, im sure somebody will be doing casting demos ect, bunch of raffles could win yourself some flys

View Postdave you should head over to the show the bears den is doing next saturday free all day, lots of tyers doin there thing, im sure somebody will be doing casting demos ect, bunch of raffles could win yourself some flys

Thanks for the heads up Derrick. I may just have to do that.

when i first started fly fishing, i was fishing for fw bass with some pretty hefty flies using the only rod i had at the time, a 4 weight. granted it wasnt pretty, but i made it work for me. dont let anybody tell you you need a twelve weight to cast big flies, with a little tweaking of your cast, you can get it out there, probly not 90' or even close to that but far enough to catch some fish. but thats just my opinion and what works for me.