Mark Gibbon

Best footwear for slippery rocks?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I wear a pair of Rohan hiking boots for all my rock fishing unless I am in my waders to cross gutters at low water.

I saw these 'Korkers' in the SOL store before christmas and thought them too good to be true.

Before I order a pair a question to those of you that have them 'are they really that good?'

I fish some really slipery venues which at this time of year are like an ice rink, in the summer the sun does a great job of drying them and killing off the slime which coats them. Having taken a tumble last weekend which thankfully only resulted in a badley bruised thumb I think it's time to sort out my grip issue.

Do they grip on even the wettest of slimiest rocks?

I just want to be absolutely sure as I will have to order a pair from the States as can't find any local suppliers and therefore not able to try before I buy.

View Post

I saw these 'Korkers' in the SOL store before christmas and thought them too good to be true.

Before I order a pair a question to those of you that have them 'are they really that good?'

No they are not too good to be true and yes, they are really that good. I don't walk on certain rocks without them regardless of whether the rocks are dry. They cut right through any slime or algae or weed and put you in direct contact with the rock surface itself. It will feel more like gripping that slimeless dry rock you like in the summer. I believe more is better so consider the Korkers K1100 Plus model with extra studs.

I wouldnt fish the rocks without them they are mandatory for your safety. All it takes is one fall ,i saw a guy who fell and literally ripped his ear off his head on slippery rocks due to not wanting to spend the money on korkers. That being said they are worth every penny but dont get over confidant with them. one thing i would do is order atleast one full set of stud replacements with them because theydo wear out dont wear them on the road whilr walking to your fishing area put them on when you get there this will help to greatly extend the life of the studs.One more thing most people including me who i have talked to pefer the lace on ones over the buckles as they are more confortable.

I currently have a korker cleat question up in the main forum, but yes everyone is right- I wouldn't be caught dead on the rocks without them. I have the k5000 series which is basically a buckle style rather than tie. If you do a search on korker cleats you'll get a lot of different responses both have their advantages/disadvantages, bottomline is at the end of the day both styles are a must on the rocks boils down to personal preference at that point.

K1100 (lace up style) advantage- A bit more studs, studs are push in so they are convenient.

K5000 advantage- Still a lot of studs,even though not as many as 1100- the bottoms are heavier rubber and have side, front & back rubber lips if you will for more added support, safety.

K1100 disadvantage- Lace up takes more time, plus risk of untying unless you duct tape like a lot of ppl do put IMO that's a pain in the arse. I felt the studs feel out a lot easier than 5000's.

K5000 disadvantage- Buckles can break if you knock them on rock too hard (but are replaceable). Some same buckles loosen up after some use, and IMO I don't agree. Replacing the studs take some time- the K1100's are faster- but the advantages/disadvantages of that are subject to some personal preferences.

Best bet is to put on a pair of the 1100 & 5000's and see what you like better.

5000's are a little heavier as well! Go to your shop and put both on your waders and see which ones you like. Make sure you bring your waders because you want them to fit.

View PostI will not go on rocks without Korkers.

Your asking for a serious injury if you go on the rocks without them....broken bones, cuts, scrapes or even a cracked melon.

All true.

I came up with another way when I was in a pinch .

I thought I was getting a pair for christmas a few years back thought is the key word I had a trip scheduled to IRI new years day . so what I did was go to home depot and buy 3 dozen square head short sheet metal screws and screwed the into the botton of my rubber boots. worked like a charm so much in fact that I have a thick soled pair of sandles I did the same thing to

you should see the looks I get when people see me walk over the slime they are just waiting for me to slip it cracks me up

9rock

The advantage of the K5000 is being able to take them on an off quickly. If your going to be walking a distance on dry rocks or dirt it's handy to be able to take them on/off quickly, plus it saves on studs. The only buckle I've broken is when I drove over the sandel. Picked up a couple of sets for a few bucks. Third season of heavy use and there still in great shape.

One thing is depending on where you fish you can go through a lot of studs in a season. Up here in rocky NH I go through about about 200 on a 100 trip season. Once the tip is gone they won't hold,