Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
High Plains Drifter

Can you help me capture some mullet?

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

I want to capture some Pacific mullet (average size @ 10") at my Mexican fishing place. Please believe me when I say there is no opportunity to cast net them!! When snorkeling, I can chase these large schools of mullet back and forth against the cliff face in the picture. The water there is @10 feet deep.

My idea is to snorkel a small gill net out to a position against the cliff face and chase the mullet into it. I'm envisioning a gill net about 12 feet long. I would only have the net in place while chasing the mullet. Do you think this will work? What size mesh would I use for the gill net?

Do you have a totally different idea? - HPD

Is it just you alone? If not then you could use some sort of two person seine with a bag on it/

As for Gillnets, maybe 2-3" mesh? Remember if it's hanging straight

up and down near the rocks then the fish won't swim into it, as i's going to be near the rocks. And the fish will see the barrier behind it. Plus in heavy surf the net will tangle on itself and the rocks.

How do the locals catch them?

View PostIs it just you alone? If not then you could use some sort of two person seine with a bag on it/

As for Gillnets, maybe 2-3" mesh? Remember if it's hanging straight

up and down near the rocks then the fish won't swim into it, as i's going to be near the rocks. And the fish will see the barrier behind it. Plus in heavy surf the net will tangle on itself and the rocks.

How do the locals catch them?

The mullet usually swim a few yards out from the cliff wall. I was going to place the gill net at a right angle to the cliff wall. The bottom is sand and there are days when the waves/surf isn't bad.

The locals don't cast net here and they spend hours getting a few at other locations. Their meager success is in the early mornings when we want to be out fishing!

I don't think we can drag a seine/bag net quick enough through the water while snorkeling. Keep the ideas coming! - HPD

HPD-

The gill net may work. If using the gill (2-3" mesh) net I would would anchor it between two rocky areas where the fish move thru (at the right depth to cover top/bottom)..though you are going to catch other stuff too as it may damage their gills (fish tacos?)..I would also be worried it will snag on rocks if free floating..Its worth a try...I think it will work. I am assuming you are going to live bait up some roosters..I have done this before in mexico..usually from a mullet chased up the beach by marauding roosters..nose hook..throw em back in and boom..fish on!

So you are going to attach the net perpendicular to the rock face? How are you going to keep the net straight when it's jutting out from the wall?

When you drive them to the wall and they hit the wall, do they go down to escape you or up? If you are going to do the gillnet thing you might want to set it with stakes a bit above the bottom and then drive them 1st to the wall and then down. You will need some long stakes though....say 4 feet?

The next idea would be to hang the net as you suggested (perpendicular and at a right angle to the wall) and then when you have chased them to the net pick up the net and sweep it too the wall. They will try to go under or over then net, not too you. Kinda like a one person seine.

The next idea is to use some sort of light trap the night before

how bout an umbrella net! bait them into it and raise! the mullet wont be damaged by the gill net and they will be lively to use a bait!

View PostAs kids we built our own traps to catch mullets and we were successful.

Hmmmm. Anyone else have trap ideas? The mullet are usually grazing on the algae on the rocks. The trap would have to be suitcaseable (for airline travel). - HPD

View PostHmmmm. Anyone else have trap ideas? The mullet are usually grazing on the algae on the rocks. The trap would have to be suitcaseable (for airline travel). - HPD

Use your imagination my friend, Mary should have large diameter pots in her kitchen, we tear off her bed sheetsbiggrin.gif , make a circle hole in the center and here you got the trap. You will need to fill the bottom with sand otherwise the pot will float.smile.gif

View PostSo you are going to attach the net perpendicular to the rock face? How are you going to keep the net straight when it's jutting out from the wall?

I was going to use rocks to weight the bottom edge of the net and floats on the upper edge.

View PostWhen you drive them to the wall and they hit the wall, do they go down to escape you or up? If you are going to do the gillnet thing you might want to set it with stakes a bit above the bottom and then drive them 1st to the wall and then down. You will need some long stakes though....say 4 feet?

The fish usually swim about 5 yards in front of me and several yards out from the wall. The usually stay about 4 feet off the bottom in the 10' deep water.

View PostThe next idea would be to hang the net as you suggested (perpendicular and at a right angle to the wall) and then when you have chased them to the net pick up the net and sweep it too the wall. They will try to go under or over then net, not too you. Kinda like a one person seine.

They are much too fast to cature in this manner.

View PostThe next idea is to use some sort of light trap the night before

Do you think this would work? Are mullet attracted to lights? - HPD

View Post

Do you think this would work? Are mullet attracted to lights? - HPD

it might. Mullet are pretty photo tactic a simple three panel gillnet in 3/4 of a box shaped pattern with a dive light behind it would work. Do you have access to a dock in the area?

And might you also run a foul of the law in the area?

The dynamite idea isn't too bad actually. it's Mexico and there are fireworks available. a well placed charge (not too big) could stun the fish long enough to dip net.

View Postit might. Mullet are pretty photo tactic a simple three panel gillnet in 3/4 of a box shaped pattern with a dive light behind it would work. Do you have access to a dock in the area?

And might you also run a foul of the law in the area?

The dynamite idea isn't too bad actually. it's Mexico and there are fireworks available. a well placed charge (not too big) could stun the fish long enough to dip net.

This is remote rural Mexico. Anything goes there and the locals fish/net/dive in many illegal ways.

There is no dock but a 3-panel box shaped gill net might have merit!

I have not noticed fireworks for sale but it's possible they are. Do you think an M80 would have the desired effect???!!!! - HPD