Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Types of luggage for travelling

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get a larger duffle bag so I can fit my clothing and fishing gear, including travel rods, in the same piece of luggage when I travel to FL. Is something like this do-able/advisable, or should I look into other solutions? And what are some good choices of decent duffle bags that can hold shorter rod tubes up to 40"?

I'm not so much worried about the additional costs for extra pieces of luggage as I am for a lost rod tube, etc - I've already experienced a lost rod tube after connecting in Newark while on the way back to Boston...although to Continental's credit, they delivered it free of charge to my house the next day.

I do know after talking to some people who seem to be 'in the know' that when baggage handlers are sorting luggage before loading on a plane, they often put 'oddball' shaped luggage (including rod tubes) on the side. They arrange/organize luggage for the purposes of loading on the plane in the most efficient manner...and this is why things like rod tubes are forgotten sometimes.

I still may bring a rod tube with a couple of my more preferred rods...but I'm bringing travel rods just in case the rod tube gets lost in the mix. And I'd like to pack everything (sans larger rod tube) in one piece of luggage...

I have had good luck attaching a rod tube to the outside of luggage. That way it's treated as a one piece if secured well and it goes with the rest of the luggage rather then with the car seats and other things. you have to make sure it's secured well (I like to be able to pick the bag up by the tube as a check). I normally use a back pack and secure it length wise, it stick up from the top and the bottom but a full size back pack is maybe only 8-10" shorter then the travel rod tube.