Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DougC

Delaware Water Gap - Float Trip

12 posts in this topic

The other water gap thread had me thinking...

Is there any reason why I would not be able to float my 12' jon boat, with oars, down the river from one of the launch areas on Old Mine Road back down to Worthington State Park? Maybe even as far upriver as Dingman's Ferry bridge launch?

I took some days off in June for camping/fishing and this is one of the areas I'm considering. I've fished the area, but never the entire stretch from a boat.

Things I'm most concerned with: Fast Current and big rocks!

Also, Is there enough water in mid june for an outboard in the area? How far would I be able to run with an outboard from Worthington, north or south?

Thanks!

all depends on how much water is in the river during the trip.

if you go up to dingman's there you will encounter some decent rapids, but plenty of people handle those in canoes.

if you put in at poxono, you can use an outboard down to about tocks island, and up to the next launch area, which i think might be depew. and if you put in up there, it would probably take you about 3 hours to float down to worthington area i'd guess.

there's is one more launch area i can think of near flatbrookville (or used to be) that would probably give you a nice day trip floating, and you would hit some fast water in spots, but should be doable.

There's a stretch of about 6 miles from Pond Eddy, NY to Matamoras, PA you could navigate pretty easily with that boat in Mid June. I've taken rafting trips with groups there 10 or 12 times and it holds water without being too crazy. You'll hit one stretch with an inflow from the left that stirs things up, but not too badly.

View PostThe other water gap thread had me thinking...

Is there any reason why I would not be able to float my 12' jon boat, with oars, down the river from one of the launch areas on Old Mine Road back down to Worthington State Park? Maybe even as far upriver as Dingman's Ferry bridge launch?

I took some days off in June for camping/fishing and this is one of the areas I'm considering. I've fished the area, but never the entire stretch from a boat.

Things I'm most concerned with: Fast Current and big rocks!

Also, Is there enough water in mid june for an outboard in the area? How far would I be able to run with an outboard from Worthington, north or south?

Thanks!

I fish the Delaware in that area alot . I fish from Dingman's down to lambertville. I run a 14 ft. jonboat with a 18HP jet. If you where camping at Worthington and wanted to float with a jonboat launch out of Poxono. This is 2 or 3 miles above the campground on old mine road. You could take out at the Worthington ramp. This would give you a long mornings fishing. There are no rapids in this area, it would be good for someone new to floating the river.In this area of the river you could catch shad(april-june), smallmouths , walleye, muskies,a rare largemouth in the slow areas, lots of carp,rockbass,fallfish,small stripers,channel cats,and the only pickerel I ever caught in the river was here. The only trouble you might have floating is during mid summer low water, you might have to get out of the boat and drag it over a shallow gravel bar. After you float it once or twice you won't have to do that , you'll learn the deeper channels. It's not like lake fishing ,stream flow and clarity have a large effect on what is biting and where they are . Learning this comes with experience. Many time my son and I would go out and catch 30-40 smallmouths, 3-4 walleyes, 30plus rockbass, acouple of stripers and fallfish, and maybe a chase by a muskie.When we got back to the ramp other people would have 2-3 bass a coulpe of catfish. The only reason I mention this is don,t get discouraged,sometimes it looks like the dead sea but if you know how to fish to the conditions you can cleanup.

View PostI fish the Delaware in that area alot . I fish from Dingman's down to lambertville. I run a 14 ft. jonboat with a 18HP jet. If you where camping at Worthington and wanted to float with a jonboat launch out of Poxono. This is 2 or 3 miles above the campground on old mine road. You could take out at the Worthington ramp. This would give you a long mornings fishing. There are no rapids in this area, it would be good for someone new to floating the river.In this area of the river you could catch shad(april-june), smallmouths , walleye, muskies,a rare largemouth in the slow areas, lots of carp,rockbass,fallfish,small stripers,channel cats,and the only pickerel I ever caught in the river was here. The only trouble you might have floating is during mid summer low water, you might have to get out of the boat and drag it over a shallow gravel bar. After you float it once or twice you won't have to do that , you'll learn the deeper channels. It's not like lake fishing ,stream flow and clarity have a large effect on what is biting and where they are . Learning this comes with experience. Many time my son and I would go out and catch 30-40 smallmouths, 3-4 walleyes, 30plus rockbass, acouple of stripers and fallfish, and maybe a chase by a muskie.When we got back to the ramp other people would have 2-3 bass a coulpe of catfish. The only reason I mention this is don,t get discouraged,sometimes it looks like the dead sea but if you know how to fish to the conditions you can cleanup.

Thanks for the info!

I know where the poxono launch is, I was thinking of trying that first, since it's a shorter haul to retrieve the tow vehicle once we're done, and after doing that it would tell me if I feel up to going any further north. The better places I've fished from the bank are up above the "S" and I know there is a faster section or two somewhere up there.

I've been boating for 20 + years in salt and fresh so I should be able to handle it, just the fewer surprises the better.

It is definitely different fishing a river, I've fished the Susquehanna and done reasonably well considering my limited time on the water. That said, I hope I don't get skunked redface.gif

doug, not sure if you live near or not too far from the gap but i have a kick ass guide that uses a float boat down the river for whatever is biting.. pm me if you want his details

oh I forgot about the outboard. It all depends on the stream flow. If the water is low ,at Worthington ramp you would be limited to the pool right there, maybe a little upstream with the motor tillted up. You would be better off lauching at Poxono, there would be 2-3 miles of water you could fish. If the water is up a little you could run a much larger area. If the Belvidere gauge is 5 ft. or higher you would be alright there with your outboard with caution. That is why river rats use jet outboards. With the Belvidere gauge at 4ft. I can launch at Worthington and run down to the Portland car bridge and upstream to the bushkill acccess area. That's 20 miles of river.All river fishermen "worth their salt" look at four things before they go fishing,weather past and present, stream flow(gauge hights),water temp, and water clarity.Oh and of course time of year, make that 5 things. This tells them what type of water to fish and what to use lure wise.

Again, thanks for the info. I will probably stick to just floating. I don't have the outboard yet but figured it would be good to know in case I get one by then. (undecided about that)

Not going to bother bringing the trolling motor and battery since there is no place to charge it.

I am about 2.5 hours from Worthington when pulling the trailer. It's not a spot I'd hit very often regardless of my success. Just looking for some adventure with low expectations.

If conditions are too wild I'll probably postpone and go somewhere else.