Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gully

extending a rod butt??

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

how much of a pain is it to extend the butt of a pistol grip freshwater rod like this

custom%20pistol%20grip%20handle.jpg

i want to extend the butt about 6-8" longer than it is. dont really care for the pistol grip on this rod. and want to make it more or a 2 handed caster.

Not so hard at all. You need to remove the rear grip first, then build a grip on an extension, and last glue it in place. Hardest part is finding the right size scrap to make your extension with.

i would cut off all that cork then get the rod blank smooth. then wrap thread all the way up the rod blank to the back of the seat. then find a piece of scrap rod fit it, scuff it up, fit it again and mark the depth, clean the inside of the rod good. then coat the inside a little. then coat the fitted scrap piece/extension and twist it in nice and slow to the mark and let it dry. then ream some cork so it slides over from the back and glue it on good with 2 part epoxy and clamp it.. the reason i wrap the butt first is because i have had one splitt from the thickness of the glue and extension expanding the butt a little to much. the thread allows for a little security, in my own theory anyway..

View PostYou should have brought it with you when we pimped out your other rod. cwm27.gif

I probably have a scrap laying around here that would work.

it was at your house! thats one of the ones we fixed! i didnt know that i wouldnt like the pistol grip till i was using it the next day! lemme know whatcha got!!!!! the one i have is a foam handle, the picture is just an example! got foam?? i could use your cool shark inlay!!!

View Posti would cut off all that cork then get the rod blank smooth. then wrap thread all the way up the rod blank to the back of the seat. then find a piece of scrap rod fit it, scuff it up, fit it again and mark the depth, clean the inside of the rod good. then coat the inside a little. then coat the fitted scrap piece/extension and twist it in nice and slow to the mark and let it dry. then ream some cork so it slides over from the back and glue it on good with 2 part epoxy and clamp it.. the reason i wrap the butt first is because i have had one splitt from the thickness of the glue and extension expanding the butt a little to much. the thread allows for a little security, in my own theory anyway..

sounds like a good idea!!

View PostBring it over this weekend. We'll figure something out. If not, at least then you'll have some scrap pieces of rod when we're done. cwm27.gif

yeah but i wanna keep and use this rod! wink.gif

dunno last time i was at your house fixin rods things didnt turn out all that well!! tongue.gif