Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobPop

Bob's BIG SQUID

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Nice BobPop! Another great video. I like the play-by-play commentary. That fleye is a monster-I'm thinkin' of the old Kirk Douglas version of 20,000 Leegues Under the Sea. And thanks again for your time at tiefest-I learned ALOT.

Hoop

That squid is just perfect! The way the tentacles spread out, the body proportions, the spread of the eyes -- just like the real deal. Sent me straight to the vise! Thanks for doing the step by step. And it's true that squid tend to have the most color on the dorsal/top surface. It's interesting that when tying a long tapered body like that, you actually have to start out with pretty short bucktail colors that won't obscure the eye too much. It works perfectly, because you then get the nice taper at the mid-section of the squid, where the real thing is usually fattest. Again, very inspiring.

clapping.gif just plain Yummy!I do have one question.When closing the eye of the hook.what is your preferred method? I use a bench vice when closing eyes.Just curious on methods used by othersheadscratch.gif .

Could not download and save it fast enough. One question, Did you open the eye on the hook for some reason or is that the way the hook comes. I assume you will close it before you fish. great stuff...

View Postclapping.gif just plain Yummy!I do have one question.When closing the eye of the hook.what is your preferred method? I use a bench vice when closing eyes.Just curious on methods used by othersheadscratch.gif .

Still CURIOUS about other methods of closing the eyeheadscratch.gif

Nice Bob, a nice twist from using tandem hooks("less weight") especially when it comes to casting! My statement is based on a tying large flies.

Shadow,

The hook is MAYBE a 92608-8/0, open eye. I don't know what it is exactly but it is identical to the smaller 92608's I have used before. Same offset, beak point and extra long shank(4X). NOT stainless,either. I found these hooks about 20+ years ago in a local tackle store noted for hard to find stuff. I think these hooks were used for the inside of weighted tube lures used for speed jigging. Usually found in red or green, with a spinning action upon the retrieve. That fleye is almost impossible to find anymore in my area. Don't go to fly shops to find them, go to the conventional tackle guys instead. Have to DIG!

If sharpened right, these hooks were deadly on Marlin and Sails. The offset and beak point really helped a slow hook set, going away. Mono extensions or tube fleyes are an alternative and a better one at that. There are a ton of ways to make it work, no matter what hooks you have. The hook can change but the tying technique stays about the same. Smaller versions on 911s Tiemco or smaller 92608, 94011 and some newer long shank hooks will work just fine too.

BobPop