Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BWoodfield

Gonna be new to the Groton Area

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So this fall i will be attending school at UCONNs campus in Groton. Ill be up there in and out during the summer and all through the fall. i know that the prime times for fishing are different from down here so i was curious when the bass and blues start moving in and eventually pushing out. Also any good tackle shops in the area?

Blues and bass start coming into the area in May - although there's some winter holdover fishing for bass up the Thames in Norwich even now.

The marshes near the campus and the Poquonnock River are decent spots for schoolies from canoes and kayaks in early summer until the boat traffic gets going and the water heats up in July - but from that point on the mouth of the Thames has usually got plenty of fish anyway and at any given time you can often see fish working bunker out there.

The water just east of the campus has bass, blues, bonito and false albacore in September and October. Easily reached by kayak. You can also hike out on Bluff Point to fish from the beach for the same.

There's usually larger bass coming in closer to shore in October and early November.

The mouth of the Thames will hold school bass usually right through December

all in all it's a great spot - even the campus itself looks like it would be a good spot to fish for bass from shore at night - though I've never fished there I have fished the areas directly east and west of it.

Where's "down here"?

There are a few tackle shops, Hillyers, Wild Bill's, J & B between Waterford and Niantic. Capt Bruce of the Otter has done a pretty good job rehabing the shop at Pine Island which is walking distance from UConn.

Great place to have a kayak.

down here is jersey near the manasquan inlet. your seasons are similar to ours which is good. luckily ill be able to bring my kayak since ill be living off campus. thanks for all the input guys and maybe ill see you out there.

BW, welcome to CT. Lucky dog, it's a beautiful spot, and right in the heart of damn good fishing!

I'll second the nod to Hillyers in Waterford for a good shop, and can't comment on the others, as that's not my neighborhood.

Have fun!

ive heard of riversend and from what i here like you say its good. I have family up there so im up there pretty often and i tried cabelas and the guy had no clue what he was talking about when i asked him about specific areas so i need a good tackle shop bad. Thanks again guys you have all be very successful

View PostAnother great thing about the area is it's only a hop, skip and a jump to the beaches and rocks of SoCo Rhode Island....in short, you'r coming to God's Country for striper fishing wink.gif

exactly

View Postive heard of riversend and from what i here like you say its good. I have family up there so im up there pretty often and i tried cabelas and the guy had no clue what he was talking about when i asked him about specific areas so i need a good tackle shop bad. Thanks again guys you have all be very successful

just don't listen to the bald guy cwm40.gif