Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobia_slayer

removing circle hooks from sharks

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I'm not sure about this but is it possible to pull a circle hook out with hook remover? Cause whenever I go to removes circle hook from other fish I haveto twist and pull. I'm not sure of how to to that with a hook remover.

View PostI'm not sure about this but is it possible to pull a circle hook out with hook remover? Cause whenever I go to removes circle hook from other fish I haveto twist and pull. I'm not sure of how to to that with a hook remover.

Dead or alive? Alive, just cut the line, let it rust out....just cut it short.

I usually keep a small pair of bolt cutters with me.

If I can't get a hook out quickly...say in 90 seconds or less, I cut the hook and get the fish back in the water as quickly as I can.

I don't know about the hook remover...so I can't address that.

Bighead

from what i've seen on videos its a 2 man operation. one guy stands on the pec fins and lifts up on the snout. the other has a pair of heavy duty pliers (linesman) on hand to remove the hook.

i agree if its taking too long just cut it and return the fish to the sea.

View Postfrom what i've seen on videos its a 2 man operation. one guy stands on the pec fins and lifts up on the snout. the other has a pair of heavy duty pliers (linesman) on hand to remove the hook.

Works like a charm...my wife and I use that exact same technique.

Bighead

Hopefully and most likely alive, and the hooks I have are stainless so it would prolly take awhile for them rust out. As for standing on the peck fins, that won't hurt it or damage the fins will it? I would prefer to get my hooks back considering the prices. But I'm always up for losing one hook for one fish biggrin.gif

View Postfrom what i've seen on videos its a 2 man operation. one guy stands on the pec fins and lifts up on the snout. the other has a pair of heavy duty pliers (linesman) on hand to remove the hook.

View PostWorks like a charm...my wife and I use that exact same technique.

Bighead

So if you had, say a 100 lb mako, you would bring it into the boat and try this technique?

I hope not, as this is a good way to lose a body part and have your cockpit smashed to bits.

A circle is really a problem to remove without having a pair of pliers to grab it and roll it out of the jaw.

We use a non-tinned hook so it can eventually rust, but that takes a long time. Still better than stainless, and less costly too.

I will cut the leader very close to the jaw by reaching over the fish's head, You must be careful not to reach alongside the head because the fish can swing and get it's teeth into you.

If you are at all uncertain, keep a bit of distance and cut from there.

im surprised no one put that video of the dude getting bitten while trying to get the hook out.

pleaase be careful and sometimes it may be safer to just cut the line close. hook will rust off

cobia slayer, i think you may know of crawfishbiggrin.gif ask him what almost happened when he tried to unhook a big circle from my shark...

Flatten the barb before you fish with it. And keep a really big pair of needlenose pliers handy. biggrin.gif I know you may lose more but if you are targeting big sharks it is the safest most humane way

from what i've seen on videos its a 2 man operation. one guy stands on the pec fins and lifts up on the snout. the other has a pair of heavy duty pliers (linesman) on hand to remove the hook.

View PostWorks like a charm...my wife and I use that exact same technique.

This has the potential to be an epic thread.

Sorry for the confusion guys, I was assuming we were talking about removing the hook from a shark on the beach, not a boat or a kayak.

When in a kayak, I simply cut the leader as close as I can.

The beach is a different matter than dealing with a shark in the boat.

Bighead

View PostI use a hook disgorger to roll the hook from the fish's mouth. It works for all species.

I make my own by bending the bails from 5 gallon dry wall mud buckets. C2

Please tell me how a hook style disgorger works with a circle hook.

The problem I find, is the disgorger needs to go across the fish's mouth to pull the point back out. Not exactly the easiest set of movements for a non plier type disgorger.