Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobia_slayer

help me with my paper please!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Ok, I have a description paper due Mon about George Tooker's 1950 painting "Subway". I have to describe how its either frightening, bizarre, fascinating or exciting. I chose frightening. Any thoughts or ideas would me much appreciated.

I have that info in my english book, and I usually read stuff b4 I ask for help, but thanx for the suggestion.

Well this is much more than just a fishing site. yea that's the main purpose, but have you looked in the tavern latly? Their trying to get a computer forum, why have that on a fishin site (BTW Patrick I'm all for the computer forum, I'm just trying to get my point across)

are you saying that because your thread was moved?

because this is where it belongs, in the tavern, not in the Main Forum.

just curious...

View PostOk, I have a description paper due Mon about George Tooker's 1950 painting "Subway". I have to describe how its either frightening, bizarre, fascinating or exciting. I chose frightening. Any thoughts or ideas would me much appreciated.

I like that painting.

Many people, at their maximum depth, suffer their own and other's existence.

Tooker's SUBWAY expresses this essence of the human condition.

I like Wayne Thiebault's/Thiebaud's paintings of single figures more because they better express the existential remove and isolation of the individual.

View PostOk, I have a description paper due Mon

I'll help you if you help me with mine. Compare Oliver Sacks' "How the Blind See", Martha Stout's "When I Woke Up on Tuesday Morning It Was Friday", and Jon Krackuer's "Into The Wild." Discuss how they relate to Carl Rogers' Theory on Identity formation. Deal?

Jesbion needs pictures. biggrin.gif

cwm13.gif Cobia -

That's some painting.

Mostly men... work force of the time

Expressions of drudgery

Somber attire *except the one central woman

Stairs to another level... downward????

One man peeks from the alcove... observing or seeking safety... or the grieving man beyond

Who is the loiterer at the stairs bottom in the short jacket... modern times awaiting at the staircase to street level

The sterile white tile and use of bars in the stair rails, barriers and exit turnstile

Who is the woman on the other side of the exit turnstile... someone who has made it through

No signage or advertisments on walls

Who is the central woman in red... why red and the holding of her hand is in a fetus support attitude yet no smile... pondering delivery of life into a post WWII era, no purse or pocketbook

Lotta stuff going on here... the more you look the more you see biggrin.gif

Hooky wink.gif

So.... you want us to help you decide what you think about a painting? Uh-uh. Do your own homework bud, it's an opinion piece that you need to back up with specific elements based on your perception.

This is what I would do. You picked frightening. I don't see it but if you think it is, run with it.

Make a list of everything that frightens you. Sort of like Hook did. Pick the best three examples.

Take those three examples and examine what they could mean and why that frightens you. In your conclusion, tie all three examples together.

Done.