Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neophyte

Lifted Truck

14 posts in this topic

you will love it.. the stiffer suspensions shine on the beach..i run 2.5 fox coilovers valved for my truck and beach driving..my truck rides like a caddy down burma rd. just beware of the coil spacers..they wont improve anything..do it right springs and longer shocks

I have a 2.5 inch OME lift on my fj62 land cruiser. It is great on the road and on the beach. It is a lot more comfortable than the original suspension. However, I think that this is very specific question dependent upon truck, suspension type, and lift manufacturer. I would ask someone who has the same vehicle as you the question.

View Postyou will love it.. the stiffer suspensions shine on the beach..i run 2.5 fox coilovers valved for my truck and beach driving..my truck rides like a caddy down burma rd. just beware of the coil spacers..they wont improve anything..do it right springs and longer shocks

Thanks for the input. I'm also a Smithtown guy.

View PostI have a 2.5 inch OME lift on my fj62 land cruiser. It is great on the road and on the beach. It is a lot more comfortable than the original suspension. However, I think that this is very specific question dependent upon truck, suspension type, and lift manufacturer. I would ask someone who has the same vehicle as you the question.

What kind of tires are you running on your trucks? I had All Terrains on a previous truck. I'm using All Season tires on this truck. To me it seems to do better on the beach with the less aggressive treads.

you are correct with the tires...i run nitto terra grappler A/T they are great on the beach..i almost have 70k on them and will be getting another set before the season starts.. with a 3" lift you could most likely run a 33" tire

Here's my $0.02 opinion. Take it for what it's worth. smile.gif

I have a 2007 Chevy Colrorado Z-71 4x4, with the OE General 265/75R15 tires. I have not even considered lifting it because it is my daily driver, it has decent enough ground clearance for the beaches that I roam, and I don't want to screw up what works well for me, just for appearances sake.

I've known a lot of people who've spent a lot of money on lifts, and oversized tires. Many / most of them have done so not because they really needed the extra ground clearance, but because of the LOOK. And that's O.K., but I haven't needed it. And I don't want to deal with the issues that lifts and oversized tires create.

I like the LOOK as well as anyone. But I'd rather stick with the reliabilty that the truck came with from the factory.

But it's your truck, and your money, so do what you want with it, and we'll both be happy. smile.gifsmile.gif

View PostHere's my $0.02 opinion. Take it for what it's worth. smile.gif

I have a 2007 Chevy Colrorado Z-71 4x4, with the OE General 265/75R15 tires. I have not even considered lifting it because it is my daily driver, it has decent enough ground clearance for the beaches that I roam, and I don't want to screw up what works well for me, just for appearances sake.

I've known a lot of people who've spent a lot of money on lifts, and oversized tires. Many / most of them have done so not because they really needed the extra ground clearance, but because of the LOOK. And that's O.K., but I haven't needed it. And I don't want to deal with the issues that lifts and oversized tires create.

I like the LOOK as well as anyone. But I'd rather stick with the reliabilty that the truck came with from the factory.

But it's your truck, and your money, so do what you want with it, and we'll both be happy. smile.gifsmile.gif

Duane,

I can't argue with the points you made. I've already had those same thoughts, but I do like the look.

Neophyte,

I also like the LOOK. smile.gif I guess it all comes down to what you want. For me, I want a truck that goes where I want, when I want, with as little hassle as possible.

Please post pictures of how your truck looks like when you're done with it.

Good luck with your project.

theres a difference between a "lift kit" and a suspension kit ...you have no idea what you missing if you just lift the truck for looks..my truck has been lifted only about 2.5 to 3" this gains my travel, and of course custom valving int the shocks to soke up the bumps..so when other people are hitting there heads on the headliner and bottoming out on the bumps stops i can rip right through the tougher sections...

View Posttheres a difference between a "lift kit" and a suspension kit ...you have no idea what you missing if you just lift the truck for looks..my truck has been lifted only about 2.5 to 3" this gains my travel, and of course custom valving int the shocks to soke up the bumps..so when other people are hitting there heads on the headliner and bottoming out on the bumps stops i can rip right through the tougher sections...

Good points you've made there.

It all comes down to how you'll use the truck. I spend 99% of my time on the road. When I'm on the beach I rarely go more than 15 MPH. I don't 'rip" through tough sections. Instead, I "crawl" through them. smile.gif

Don't think that I've ever worked my shocks hard while driving on the beach. smile.gif

View PostGood points you've made there.

It all comes down to how you'll use the truck. I spend 99% of my time on the road. When I'm on the beach I rarely go more than 15 MPH. I don't 'rip" through tough sections. Instead, I "crawl" through them. smile.gif

10mph on the beach is ripping trough tough sections...i "crawl: over rocks...

are those the Procomp 9000s lighhts on your truck?

View Post10mph on the beach is ripping trough tough sections...i "crawl: over rocks...

are those the Procomp 9000s lighhts on your truck?

They are Procomps, and if I remember correctly, they are model #9911.

I rarely actually use them, because they are SO bright. But they do look nice. smile.gif

What kind of tires are you running on your trucks? I had All Terrains on a previous truck. I'm using All Season tires on this truck. To me it seems to do better on the beach with the less aggressive treads.

I have 31" BFG AT KO tires. They are fine on the beach and better than the all seasons I had on it before. One thing to keep in mind is that the ATs were designed to be aired down and because of this they have stronger more puncture resistant sidewalls. The all seasons had numerous chunks taken out of them before I replaced them. To have a lift installed and not have ATs or MTs makes very little sense to me. I could have gone to a 33" tire but without regearing, I would have lost torque and the height of the truck would have been too high to allow me to get into garages near where I live. The large tires also make it more difficult to stop and cause greater wear and tear. I had to get a new suspension because the original was rusted out and it made no sense to go OE when an after market suspension was better and close to the same price.