Does anybody tow with a 6 cylinder explorer?

Rate this topic

Lagerhead

Alot of guys are posting the weights of their boat, trailer etc. I am interested to know how many of you have actually weighed their rig on a scale. Estimating weight is a crapshoot at best. Add gas batteries and gear to the mix and estimates could be as much as 1000 pounds off. Just wondering.

"We aren't At Large, we're just avoiding the police.."

Thanks again for the advice. The Explorer is an XLT sport. 4 door 4wd and has a receiver hitch. Thought it was class II headscratch.gif

I will take a look to see if it has a tranny cooler.

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')

Thanks Mike you are probably going to be one of the few. I am actually going to take my rig to be weighed before the season starts. I really never worried about it because I tow with a full size extend a cab Silverado 2500HD. I am a contractor so I bought the truck specifically because it was a Heavy Duty truck. I installed my own heavy duty receiver hitch as well. It pulls and stops my bass rig like their is nothing on the back. My boat is only 18'2" but is pretty heavy loaded with gear,6 batteries and 40 gallons of gas. My trailer has disc brakes as well.

My construction trailer on the other hand is quite heavy. It is a 14X7 dual axle Pace Summit landcsape trailer that we added permenant wood shelving. That I have weighed loaded with tools at 6200 pounds. I have no trouble towing or stopping but the trailer has electric disc brakes on both axles. That makes a huge difference. Stopping is really the most important part of the equation. Sure if your vehicle is underpowered you could do some damage but if you cannot stop your rig in an emergency situation people get hurt or killed.

"We aren't At Large, we're just avoiding the police.."

I agree with matching the vehicle to the load. I tow with the Explorer or a Grand Cherokee, both rated 6500 lbs or more with full to packages. Your set up is overkill. My wife would not let an ugly truck in the driveway. LOL

BTW I weighed the rig on a junkyard scale in Monmouth county.