Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lagerhead

Does anybody tow with a 6 cylinder explorer?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

When I bought my (my wife's) explorer last year, we went with the V8 because of the 7k towing capacity. My grady weighs probably about 6k fully loaded plus the trailer. Remember to include trailer weight in the calculation s well as the weight of full fuel.

If I recall, the V6 had a towing capacity of about 5,200 pounds. This also required the towing package with the larger hitch. I think that without the towing package, the limit was about 3,500 pounds or so.

If you are only towing locally and with no hills, you probably have a little more leeway. We are probably around the corner (I'm in Aberdeen) and I would either tow the boat to keyport or port monmouth (where I had her slipped last year). Either way, it was a short, flat easy trip.

David

Thanks for the replies. Looking to tow a '98 20' aquasport CC with a 115 Etech.

The car is a 2003 explorer with a class II hitch (no towing package). Between Philly and Atlantic Highlands.

Doable or tranny death??

I had a 1997 v6 4wd and towed both my montauk 2500 lbs and a 20ft hewes light tackle at 3500lbs, both worked ,but the Montauk was more comfortable. Just make sure you disengaged the OD on the tranny. Really big hills are the problem for this V6 combo. JP

When I had mine on one trip one 16 foot tin boat loaded with fishing gear for four people going into the backwoods of Canada inside all the gear for camping and the food on the top two canoes yep we were loaded gas mileage went out the window but I drove that truck for another 150,000 miles after I took that trip never had any problems with other than reg mait. Took a few more trip towing the boat when I was local didn't even know the boat was there. THomT

View PostThanks for the replies. Looking to tow a '98 20' aquasport CC with a 115 Etech.

The car is a 2003 explorer with a class II hitch (no towing package). Between Philly and Atlantic Highlands.

Doable or tranny death??

Class II hitch sounds a little light for a fiberglass 20'er... might be OK, but you're probably very close to the rating limit (3500#'s gross trailer weight, 300 #'s tongue weight) for the hitch.

Look to see if you can figure out the weight of boat, motor, trailer and fuel. Tongue weight is a little harder... guess you could buy a bathroom scale and rest the tongue on it - if it bottoms out, you need more hitch.

I would add a transmission oil cooler and a receiver hitch. The bumpers on an Explorer will fold under heavy braking. The bumper mounts are designed to do that for rear impact. The bumper hitch may be rated at 3500, but you are probably over that with a 20 footer. The trans cooler is in the tow package but you apparently do not have it since you have the bumper hitch. You are towing 100 miles one way from Phila to Highlands, and add a little stop and go summer traffic on a hot summer day and you bake the tranny. Go to U Haul and they will install for you.

have an 04 all wheel drive 6 cyl Exploder . tows well with reciever hitch a 15' hobie forget its there, 18 ' Welcraft with 115 Yam 4stroker ( you know its back there) and a 20' pacific with 140 zuke ,no trailer brakes,but should have them if towing a lot ,plan your stops eeeeeeeeeeeee crunch heart.gif its all about the trailer in my opinion .

View PostI would add a transmission oil cooler and a receiver hitch. The bumpers on an Explorer will fold under heavy braking. The bumper mounts are designed to do that for rear impact. The bumper hitch may be rated at 3500, but you are probably over that with a 20 footer. The trans cooler is in the tow package but you apparently do not have it since you have the bumper hitch. You are towing 100 miles one way from Phila to Highlands, and add a little stop and go summer traffic on a hot summer day and you bake the tranny. Go to U Haul and they will install for you.

good advice.icon14.gificon14.gif

View PostI would add a transmission oil cooler and a receiver hitch. The bumpers on an Explorer will fold under heavy braking. The bumper mounts are designed to do that for rear impact. The bumper hitch may be rated at 3500, but you are probably over that with a 20 footer. The trans cooler is in the tow package but you apparently do not have it since you have the bumper hitch. You are towing 100 miles one way from Phila to Highlands, and add a little stop and go summer traffic on a hot summer day and you bake the tranny. Go to U Haul and they will install for you.

This is right on the money. Get a frame mounted Class III receiver hitch.

The only thing I would add is surge disc-brakes for the trailer if not already equipped and a really cautious driving approach. You will have lengthy braking distances with no trailer brakes.

Don't forget wrenches, jacks, blocks, and chocks for trailer tire changing. Road test your spare. I usually had a cheap floor jack, as well as a bottle jack in the truck while towing. A single axle w a flat tire is very close to the ground limiting the jacks that will work.