Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goso

new guy

6 posts in this topic

Afternoon all, I'm a new guy just looking to get a first kayak. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs & looking for something for light use - creeks & bayous, fishing . . . any advise for a good entry level kayak that won't break the bank. All I see locally are pelicans & maybe a heritage at Academy Sports. Craigslist dosen't turn up much in the way of used. Also what are the advantages/disadvantages of sit on top vs. sit inside? Thanks.

g

Consider to rent a kayak to figure out which fits you best.

I have about the same measurements as you and I'm very happy with my Malibu X-Factor. Soon coming the Malibu Stealth 14.

Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to get the tarpon 120 as what I've been able to read about it sounds very good but it's a bit difficult to justify the expense of a new one & used is not an option in this area. I'm looking at a Pelican Castaway -- my thinking is that if I enjoy kayaking as much as I think I will I can eventually move up to the tarpon & the pelican will be a good starter for my son (now 4) & a good 2nd kayak? So I guess my question now is, is that pelican just going to be a horrible dissapointment or could it be seen as a reasonable starter kayak? With a family, I hate to spend a 1000.00 on something that's just for me & the difference could be used to buy the accessories that I will need either way I go. Thanks.

g