Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

what if ...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

View PostWhat if one of the sanest guys in congress

is considered a loon by his fellow "conservatives"

Anytime the Punk supports someone's sanity, I am even more convinced of their insanity....He has a lot of good points, but is wrong on others...It seems more an "isolationist" philosophy than conservative...and even though ideally, I would wish him right, the reality of the world and national conflict, are not going to just "go away" because of the way he sees it...

What if...

After all the pork spending proves a failure by the end of his first term, Obama decides to take economic advice from RP?!

(I mean, the guy did say he likes to be surrounded by people with opposing thought! cwm27.gif )

Oh, and I think there's gonna be some anti-war libs quite disappointed with Obama.

In some ways, I'm glad Ron's presidential campaign didn't go any further.

Can you imagine the blame he would be taking for the economy?

View Post...It seems more an "isolationist" philosophy than conservative...

jesbion, I think you're confusing isolationist with non-interventionist,

and confusing conservative with interventionist

The fact is: the non-interventionist/libertarian/

conservative wing in the GOP needs to push the interventionist/neocon wing (that lead to so much ISOLATION) aside.

If they cannot do that, they will break with the GOP, leaving it to its ultimate fate as a party of the past with no future.

"Ron Paul says to a lot of people, eager to hear this message, you can be antiwar and be a conservative. In fact, he says, if you are a real small government conservative, you have to be antiwar." George Will

Check out:

" target="_blank">

I don't think being pro-war means being conservative. I don't think conservatives ever look forward to war. War, however, is just diplomacy with guns and when you're dealing with people that want to do you harm and normal diplomacy doesn't work, diplomacy with guns is the right sort of diplomacy to use and should be used fully and without reservation until a statisfactory diplomatic result has been achieved.

View PostI don't think being pro-war means being conservative. I don't think conservatives ever look forward to war. War, however, is just diplomacy with guns and when you're dealing with people that want to do you harm and normal diplomacy doesn't work, diplomacy with guns is the right sort of diplomacy to use and should be used fully and without reservation until a statisfactory diplomatic result has been achieved.

That I can agree to...and I don't negate war for any reason that is legitimate. Neither do I espouse it if unnecessary...But one thing RP said that goes against what I have seen, is that war doesn't help the ecomomy....I find that it does help the economy, and every war we were in bears that out...unfortunately. And the conspiracy of Eisenhower's "military-industrial complex" is an actual reality, and has grown to monstrous proportions..and is still very much a threat...as is greed and corruption everywhere!

What if France tried minding their own business just prior to getting steamrolled during WW2?

What if Poland avoided intervening in Germany's affairs just before being invaded in WW2?

What if Kuwait left Iraq alone prior to being invaded?

What if the Philipines left Japan alone before being taken over?

Well, they did, they did, they did, they did.

Doing nothing was the problem.

Fighting was the solution.

When we weren't in the middle east they were killing each other. They were killing each other for a thousand years and will continue untill someone shows them a better life is possible. Iraq has made more progress than anyone thought possible. With the possible exception of the stimulus package, doing nothing never seems to help.

View PostWhat if France tried minding their own business just prior to getting steamrolled during WW2?

What if Poland avoided intervening in Germany's affairs just before being invaded in WW2?

What if Kuwait left Iraq alone prior to being invaded?

What if the Philipines left Japan alone before being taken over?

Well, they did, they did, they did, they did.

Doing nothing was the problem.

Fighting was the solution.

When we weren't in the middle east they were killing each other. They were killing each other for a thousand years and will continue untill someone shows them a better life is possible. Iraq has made more progress than anyone thought possible. With the possible exception of the stimulus package, doing nothing never seems to help.

nobody invaded us except when the germans bombed pearl harbor. headscratch.gif we took care of that.

what did the Korean War accomplish? the guys we were fighting against are now exporting rubber dog poo to us on credit.

vietnam?

if we refrained from taking sides in the whole mideast mess, we likely wouldn't have had to deal with a GWOT.

RP has a point.

I think the notion that wars are helpful to economies is a fallacy.

Maybe temporarily with high employment, but that changes and in the long run the wars still have to be paid for. I believe this is hurtful to economies.

Both WWII and Korea had unemployment problems at their conclusion, and I believe the top income tax rate in the US was 90% for a long time after.

Lyndon Johnson's "guns and butter" approach to the war in Vietnam didn't work out too well either.

The former Soviet Union bankrupted themselves in a stupid war with Afghanistan.

Bet you could make a pretty long list.

What exactly are the Palistinean "gripes". What legitimate issues do that have? Who are they? When did a Palistinean "state" come into existence and what do they feel the Israeli's owe them any why? And is Israel really the 'big issue' in the Middle East or is it just an excuse for Arabs to do what Arabs do best. Go nuts and kill each other and everyone else outside of their own little incestuous goat-farking tribes.