Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LogCabins

Surfcasting Puerto Rico?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if there Is any decent fishing from the surf with artificials on the North Western portion of Puerto Rico (Rincon, Aguadilla, etc) ? beers.gif

Just wondering which surf trips of mine is going to be worth bringing a rod or not. biggrin.gif

There must be somekind of fish along the Domes trail. I spent the winter of 91/92 in Rincon, PR. I can recall seeing the locals using handlines, can't recall if they caught anything or not. Last time I was there I went fishing with Moondog charters out of Rincon in 1995. We didn't do so well but we had a hell of a good time! God I miss those days surfing and wasting away in PR.shaky.gif

Tight Lines,

Seabasstard

I have been doing research on surf fishing in PR. I am flying into Aguadilla and staying in Lajas in July. I have not had much luck yet. I have been using Google earth to find jetties and such. Any info I find I'll post here.

LC,

Our last trip there, about four years ago, while snorkeling off the beach near Villa Confressi out in front of a friend's grandmothers house; there were some large schools of a pompano looking fish just cruising the sand and worn reef. Every evening some locals would come down, while we had cocktails and would throw small tins or bait fish. There were always kids fishing in front of the boat yard where little malibu is located. There used to be a kicka$$ restaurant there as well. My sons who were there in January said the restaurant had closed. I know there is good snapper/grouper fishing off Desecheo Island. But that is a loooooooooooong cast cwm27.gif .

If you want to fish and surf I think Mexico is the place, still a much bigger pain in the butt to get to. The swell is more tidal, and the winds don't howl like those easterlies in PR. So you can fish early in the morning and get the waves later on. Once you get there it's cheaper. You have to drink Tequila instead of Rum, but thats a good thing.

I think it will be a while before I get back there, the shark scare last trip wigged my wife out. And the ever present get home on time airplane schedule disaster always takes your bliss away.

The boys had a good trip, but few waves on that dropping swell from the snowstorm we got. Hope you get better surf.

Pete

LIBBA 316

MSA 604

Shag, Thanks Mate! beers.gif

That Restaurant at little Malibu was there last year but a different name and the food was tasty biggrin.gif

I too did a lot of snorkling at Tres/Steps area to study the reef a bit and saw plenty of fish. So I'm sure there has to be some fish you can get off the beach.

I also agree it looks like Mexico or central America is the best of both worlds, surfing and fishing. It turns out Jetblue is now flying to Costa Rica so that could become a really affordable trip now. beers.gif

Thanks for the advice and I'll research the situation a little further.

BTW PR was firing yesterday and Today!!! Wish I was there Maria's looks like near DBL overhead perfection this AM. drool.gifdrool.gif

Hey Log,

I just spent two weeks in Rincon and tried a little fishing with no luck. I tried the Sandy Beach area and Tres Palmas/Steps beach and lost all my metals to Elkhorn coral. Did get a follow by something small on a surface plug, but no takers. Next time gonna try bottom fishing right from shore at Steps. Right at the steps the shelf drops off to about 10-12 ft. I've snorkeled there a few times and have seen jack and cuda. A new spot I did not try yet has Elkhorn but appeared to have more water over them. It's just down the beach from Steps. Heading south on 413 from Steps turn right for Taino Divers and another immediate right on Jose Perez. Go to last lane on left. Beach or Surf Ave. Can't remember. Reef starts about 75 yards out. Good luck and don't forget to save a few shrimp from lunch for bait. I didn't see anywhere to score bait.

It turns out Jetblue is now flying to Costa Rica so that could become a really affordable trip now. beers.gif

Now if they flew out of McArthur that could really be a problem. beers.gif

I'm taking a last minute trip to PR (rincon) this coming week mostly for surfing. But I was wondering if there is anymore info since this thread started last year. I didn't make it down there at all last winter so I am now in the same position as I was then. Thanks beers.gif

I use my Rod like my American Express Card. I never leave home without it!

It would be a shame if you got there without a rod & people were catching off the beach. That's why I have at least 1/2 travel rods. & bring some tins.

Hey Brandon just bring some diamond jigs with green tubes, I hear they catch anywhere LOL and i know you have plenty. hope you had a great Christmas and have a good trip pal. Be safe!

View PostHey Brandon just bring some diamond jigs with green tubes, I hear they catch anywhere LOL and i know you have plenty. hope you had a great Christmas and have a good trip pal. Be safe!

Thanks Billy! I never leave home without my trusty green tube combo. cwm27.gif