Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaseyGhee

Wonderbread

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, When do you use a wonderbread painted lure? Has anyone caught anything on it? I think I know reason for "paint-job", but am mainly interested if anyone has caught anything using it, other than another SOLer (LOL) Casey Ghee

I have the notion that wonderbread is as close as a plugmaker could come, when working with simple paint, to the shifting colors that fish display as they move in the water. Modern hard plastics can show color changes as you hold them in hand and look at them from different angles. Before that kind of fancy optical plastic, overlapping and varied bits of color may have been as close as one could possibly get to that visual effect.

Haven't fished them enough to have an opinion.

Hi In my mind, it all goes back to Preston Jennings c1936, the Fish and the fly. It is the prismatic effect of white light passing thru a prism and breaking down to red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, and ultra violet (not visible) individual wave lengths of light . If one takes the swash zone as a prism, Jennings' original thoughts still hold water (LOL). Thanks for the fill-in on the "Wonder Bread", I have never seen the plug in use, nor have I ever read re its origins. I am a large devotee of Jennings, and have used his concepts, mostly in Fresh Water, but feel that they will work in the salt, now justified by your answers. I will chase down the reccomended threads, thank you for the help. By the way, how and when (light conditions) is it used? Score another for the SOL group!! Thanks for your help, Casey Ghee

I always thought of wonder-bread as mother of pearl, gone artistic biggrin.gif..if its subtle its like a shells iridescent colors , subtle. White mainly with a subtle coloration change....

I have caught more fish on this pattern on a Danny than any other. If I am fishing swimmers, it is ALWAYS the 1st color/pattern I start with. wink.gif

I swear by wonderbread on those clear full moon nights that we all hate. I have had many a bright night where all the bass would hit was a wonderbread bomber. I even switched it up with pure white- no takes. I appears to me that the above post about light refracting through the water may be on to something.

Jim