live eels in the surf?

Rate this topic

ESyakr

View PostI think a couple guys use eels. Usually with a 3 way sinker. The eels have to be very lively. And dont let anyone tell you they will wrap around your gear in some sort of ball. You owe a joke buddy.

second time ive heard about "oweing a joke". sorry if im missing something, what does it mean?

live eels are very effective in the surf. and either way works well.i prefer to let them swim. but with or with out a sinker they will catch.rigged eels work great as well. in recent years ive been more and more using rubber rigged eels and been doing pretty good with them.

TIGHT LINES AND LOTS OF DUNES.

View PostI think a couple guys use eels. Usually with a 3 way sinker. The eels have to be very lively.

I would only rig on a three way if I was drifting eels from a boat. I know many people who think dead eels work as well if not better than live.

Deermaster - there is a search function which will yield you lots of info on fishing eels.

Here is one from doing a search on "Live Lining Eels"

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...ve+Lining+eels

A Curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities.

Hello Deermaster. I see you are from VA adn I like that so I will tell ya straight out what I do and not shove "the use the search" nonsense up your ass.

I use live eels in the surf around structure. I fish them unweighted w/a 8/0 on a 50lb 36" mono leader. I cast them upcurrent and let them swim down into the rip, always keeping in contact, sometimes with little or no retreive, depending on current speed. I also fish them this way when they are dead.

Good luck.

Hey Ed, you gonna tell him to search Plataweisels too, or you gonna help him out?

View PostHello Deermaster. I see you are from VA adn I like that so I will tell ya straight out what I do and not shove "the use the search" nonsense up your ass...

Wow, harsh. I think the search feature was suggested as a means to use SOL as a library, not as a "don't bother me" brush-off.

I've asked questions in the forums and then followed them up by searching SOL. I've gotten much more information on subjects searcing the various threads over the years. Lots of good information here if you're willing to find it.

Two corrections. First, the requirement for a joke from a new guy originated on the Salt Water Fly Fishing forum. It is not to be imposed on recent arrivals in lesser forums (fora?) like this one. It is a badge of social distinction. So there.

Second. Yes, live eels are fine. They work all season long, though they're more traditional in the fall (along with rigged eels). Keep them cold until needed, else they will wiggle into a ball. Hook through the lips, cast and retrieve slowly, as you would most plugs. Once they've landed on the water a few times, they simmer down and will stop trying to tie themselves in a knot. As long as the eel can curl its' tail a little, it's live. Once it's dead, keep fishing it, a dead eel is 85% as good as a fresh one and a lot easier to use. Once you're done, take them home and rig them, per TimS' instructions in the Article section, or those in Muller's book "Surf Fishing for Stripers and Blues at Night." Easy enough to do, they work fine. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

View Post

Hey Ed, you gonna tell him to search Plataweisels too, or you gonna help him out?

Hi Frank. Actually the link I gave him has several posts of info from me.cwm13.gif

Plataweisels need to be researched on one's own!

FYI Still freezing my butt off up heremad.gif

A Curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities.

Always worked for me in the Summer right into the Fall, either between Nauset and Chatham or on the track going up towards P-town. One thing I haven't seen mentioned was fishing them. We always fished them with the rod held very high, and the reel turned very very slowly. When the pickup came, the rod tip was dropped parallel to the water giving the bass (hopefully) about 10 ft of slack. When the line came tight, cross his eyes,. It worked for us. Started w/ live eels, when they died, they worked almost as well fished that way but

fresh dead (not rigged). Early on, the eel rods were calcutta cane, in the 70s, un-cut Supercutters, and the late seventies and eighties and on GSBs. So it was!! Casey Ghee

One thing that nobody mentioned, although I am sure they know this ...

If you DO catch on one, do not put a "fresh" bait on for the next cast.

It is a well-known fact that an eel that has already caught, will outproduce a new one.

Nobody knows why for sure, but I think the "smell" of fear is irresistable to a predator. Even if the eel is dead, keep using it.

Unweighted in the surf, and painfully slow. Just enough so you can feel the weight. They are more effective around structure though. Their natural habitat would be near a hidey-hole.

Where is the damn joke?

AMMO

><))))))))))@>
*AMMODYTE*