Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LB Jetty

Mb1083m

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Decided to have a custom put together on this blank. For travel purposes though, I prefer all my rods as 2 pieces. I would love to hear your thoughts on whether cutting this blank into a 2 piece would negate the action of the fiberglass, which is half the reason why I'm getting it in the first place. Should I just bite the bullet and leave it as a one piece?

If you feel like you have the guts to try doing this, making spigot ferrules is not that hard (I assume zero liability if you screw up, though). I learned to make them simply by reading descriptions online, you might want to get a cheap batson or CUI e-glass blank to try on first. My three piece spinning rod has two solid glass spigots that fit into the next section, but I can barely tell it from the original, one piece blank. It takes some nerve to cut the 1/2 inch sections out of the blank for the first time. The whole process requires only a drill, some sand paper (from about 150 to 600 grit), and an inexpensive solid glass blank to make the spigots. Make sure to wet down the spigots and paper and wear a dust mask. It is a cheap way to make glass travel rods.

Granted, I am not that picky about rods. I tend to use ones that load easily with the less dense lures that I prefer and fight fish well. I am guessing some prissy individuals might find them too coarse for their delicate tastes.

LogCabins - I did a ton of research on the fiberglass blanks and I kept arriving back at this one based on quality and what I am hoping to accomplish in terms of actual fishing situations where a stick like this would excel. When you say I should search out a cheap two piece, did you have a particular manufacturer in mind? If you have experience with a two piece fiberglass rod that functions as well as the MB1083M, I would definitely look into it. While I appreciate the way a rod builder can customize a blank to my specifications, I am not above buying off the rack if it is a glass two piece that will perform just as well as the custom.

tmo9cpt - I appreciate the suggestion, but I wouldn't exactly call myself handy when it comes to this kind of thing and I'd probably end up butchering the blank if I attempted to do it myself.

Honestly, I am skeptical chopping a 9ft glass rod will make sense, but I thought some of the builders on the site my surprise me with a thumbs up. If it turns out that doing this doesn't make any sense, I'll just need to bite the bullet and go for the one piece. Either way, I'm pretty dead set on a glass rod and will do what I need to to make it happen.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, guys!

First off I have zero experience with anything.

I'm just saying you have a beautiful 1-piece rod that a lot of people rave about. And you want to chop it half just so you can travel with it? I would avoid that at all cost's.

I'm not sure if you mean travel like travel from you house to fishing spot or get on a plane and go on vacation?

Either way I would do everything in my power to keep a high quality rod a 1-piece thing. My first rod was a two piece and I have since went one piece. Needless to say I will never go back to a two piece even if you pay me. But I will buy a cheap one for vacations and such to take on a plane.

I am in total agreement with you and would have only one piece rods if possible. Unfortunately, the situation arises all too often that its just not feasible. Like I stated though, with the action particular to a glass rod, I might just have to make it work with this bad boy. Cheers!

Canyondiver - The Lamiglas catalog only lists this as a one piece. I figured this would be set in stone considering this goes out to all of their retailers and details every single option. I'll put a call into them later today to confirm. And you're right, it wouldn't be pretty if I tried this myself.

lamiglas mb 108 3m 2m 2 f 2pc e&s glass are no longer being made (several colors ).They are all great I have quite a few . Back in production 108 3m (bl anr honey color) 1 pc for around 78 dollars.heart.gif lamiglas forever.Happy fishing .

View Postlamiglas mb 108 3m 2m 2 f 2pc e&s glass are no longer being made (several colors ).They are all great I have quite a few . Back in production 108 3m (bl anr honey color) 1 pc for around 78 dollars.heart.gif lamiglas forever.Happy fishing .

I wish they still made a full line of "S" glassfrown.gifheart.gif