Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sluggoman

penn 525 mag

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My 525 casts fairly well i was just wondering if there is anything i can do to really get the best performance out of this reel? it gets rinsed after every use and oiled once to twice a week (depending on use).

I am not sure oiling the reel twice per week is really necessary unless you use it every single day for 8 or more hours straight. If i have an accident with the reel I then tear it all apart and relube everything. An accident is defined as dunking it in saltwater or dropping it in the sand.

Of course rinsing after every outing is a great idea!

I only oil my bearings about 3 times a year in all my 525's. Soak them in lighter fluid and then red or yellow rocket fuel depending on the time of year.

Google Neil Mckellow, he is a long distance Champion and 525mag enthusiast out of Europe . They use to have an Ask Neil page and forum as well as articles about getting the most you can out of your reel. Very helpful to 525 enthusiasts and other brands that are built for casting performance. I have done amazing things with the 525.

I added ceramic spool bearings to my old one and played with oil viscosity within the Rocket Fuel Brand. Very good results, but the need for distance went out the window 7 years ago once I bought a kayak. lol

for the line 50#power pro. for bearings i take apart just about everything and go over the whole reel, i throw heavy jigs in the cape cod canal, 4 oz crippled herring, 4 oz bucktalis and sluggos with lead heads.

Learn to cast smoothly enough that you can turn the magnets all the way down. That's about as good as it gets with any reel I have ever used.

If you are not saltwater dunking that reel, then there is no need to take it apart that often. As stated, develop a smooth cast back the magnets down between 2-3, and I would use 3n1 oil for the bearings. 1 drop after cleaning is enough for each bearing - more is not better. If this is still too slow for you try yellow rocket oil. Also make sure the spool tension control is backed off a bit and you have a slight knock back and forth of the spool. I own 4 525's and they are an excellent reel.