Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinambition

Best solvent for lead??

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

View PostIma run some HOT lead thru my polygonal barrel. Is there a solvent that's up to the task or should I just replace my barrel before it explodes?

For severe barrel leading there are wire mesh patches that can be pushed/pulled through the bore to scrub the lead out.

Read up on the Lewis Lead Remover.

View PostFor severe barrel leading there are wire mesh patches that can be pushed/pulled through the bore to scrub the lead out.

Read up on the Lewis Lead Remover.

The Lewis lead remover is the stuff...

You need to be shooting harder bullets, using gas checks, or slowing down the load a little!

First I would brass brush with solvents mentioned above with patience and loving care to a factor 10. Repeat, repeat, repeat...... An alternative might be a SS brush. SS usually scoops out the lead effectively, but I would not use a SS brush on chrome. I have a SS brush I use on my .44 black powder weapon only occasionally after firing several days in a row w/o cleaning. If your fouling is severe, I would soak and brush with SS. Cleaning regularly after firing, every time, will prevent dirty ****. I mean dirty bores. tongue.gif I know U know that already.

That's the official word. I've been researching it and it seems there are lots of guys who do it, but are careful about it. I may just drop in a lone wolf. Also lookin at ghost triggers, the 4.5 lbs one.

View PostIma run some HOT lead thru my polygonal barrel. Is there a solvent that's up to the task or should I just replace my barrel before it explodes?

The best solvent for removing lead is not a solvent...try this from Brownells...use the cleaner first on a patch loaded with cleaner, wrapped around a brass brush. 20 or so passes through the barrel, depending on how bad it is, and then use the bore polish, with the same procedure. Clean with Hoppe's #9 and look inside with a strong flashlight behind your eye...(looking thru the barrel with light from the background going through the barrel does not show the fouling)

spacer.gif

J-B® BORE BRIGHT open_curve.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

083065100.jpgspacer.gifspacer.gif

J-B® NON-EMBEDDING BORE CLEANING COMPOUND open_curve.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

083065002.jpg

View Posti seem to recall somewhere that you're not supposed to use cast lead bullets in polygonal bbls.

voids the warranty on a lot of factory guns.

Glock recommends shooting ONLY jacketed bullets through their pistols.

Shooting lead bullets through their barrels can cause lead accumulation which can elevate pressures to dangerous levels.

I've never understood why this happens.

Glock barrel leading seems counterintuitive to me because polygonally rifled barrels seem so much smoother, and less likely to tear lead from slugs, than the more traditional land and groove rifling.

Polygonally rifled barrels provide a better gas seal which slightly boosts bullet velocity.

Shooter's Choice (Marksman's Choice). Wet barrel with patches, let sit for a while, brush 10 or 15 times with a bronze brush only! Use a tight fitting jag/patch, check, repeat as necessary.

If that doesn't work you probably went too long between cleanings (stop doing that) then: wet barrel and use JB Bore Paste (see above post, it's the bomb)

There is something else I use all the time that's like magic (but it smells like a public toilet) RB-17. It's a jell that is crazy good (clean it out of the barrel after use).

I have quite a few small caliber high velocity varmint guns, some of which lead up (copper up) pretty bad. The above is from guys in the benchrest game (fanatics about cleaning, barrel wear and oh yeah, accuracy)

View PostGlock recommends shooting ONLY jacketed bullets through their pistols.

Shooting lead bullets through their barrels can cause lead accumulation which can elevate pressures to dangerous levels.

Not that I have Glocks, but for most autos, jacketed bullets are the best bet for functioning and not leading....and feeding, as well....and feeding is the most common problem with autos...(that's why I prefer revolvers..) Revolvers can handle higher variations in bullet weights, and powder loads, and are great for your own cast bullets....(which I prefer, as well)

View PostNot that I have Glocks, but for most autos, jacketed bullets are the best bet for functioning and not leading....and feeding, as well....and feeding is the most common problem with autos...(that's why I prefer revolvers..) Revolvers can handle higher variations in bullet weights, and powder loads, and are great for your own cast bullets....(which I prefer, as well)

Yes.

I still prefer the semi-auto pistol to the revolver.