Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshR

buiding a work bench

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I am cleaning out my basement and buiding a nice work bench to both store my tools as well as being a clean place to work.

I have a pair of steel legs that i plan to mount some 2x6 on to make a bench about 8ft x 30", then add a piece of plywood over that to give me a nice smooth surface to work on and also i can change it if it gets messed up. I will also have 2 2x6 on the bottom of the legs connecting both sides as a support.. this way i will also have the bottom as a shelf

first question is.. w/ the 2x6.. is there any pro's or con's to using preasure treated lumber?

Second.. i wanted to add some sort of drawers for misc tools.. would it be better to get like an old 2 drawer file cabinet.. i was thinking of building some drawers out of wood.. never did it before.. doesn't have to be build like a finished cabinet. but just hold tools..

i will be putting peg bord on the wall behind to also hang tools on and also running a 20 amp circuit to a power strip to i can have lots of plugs for my tools.. a 48" twin tube florecent light will be above the bench.

I have a vise that i will be mounting to the bench. i plan to eventually get a small 6" bench grinder..

anythign else i am missing.. tips or suggestions..

thanks guys

Josh, building drawers is not that hard. They're just boxes, basically. I'm going thru some growing pains in my little shop as well. Need drawers.

In my case, since I built my bench on "brackets" off the wall, I've decided to build a drawer base cabinet (like a basic kitchen cabinet), put it on locking casters, and put a nice piece of butcher block on top. I'll be able to roll it right under my bench, and roll it out and beat on the top if I need to smile.gif

Yer right on with what you need so far. icon14.gif

I'll be glad to help ya out with the drawer building.

Oh yeah, and there's no reason to use PT lumber.

It'll only cost you more and twist up on ya anyway smile.gif

View PostJosh, building drawers is not that hard. They're just boxes, basically. I'm going thru some growing pains in my little shop as well. Need drawers.

In my case, since I built my bench on "brackets" off the wall, I've decided to build a drawer base cabinet (like a basic kitchen cabinet), put it on locking casters, and put a nice piece of butcher block on top. I'll be able to roll it right under my bench, and roll it out and beat on the top if I need to smile.gif

Yer right on with what you need so far. icon14.gif

I'll be glad to help ya out with the drawer building.

Oh yeah, and there's no reason to use PT lumber.

It'll only cost you more and twist up on ya anyway smile.gif

yeah i didn't think building drawers would be that bad.. i mean i would be using dove tail ends or anything like that.. i am debaiting on whether i want to add some guild rails like the craftsman tool boxes or just have it slide in and out on wood like a dresser would.

None of the drawers in my truck have drawer slides.

They are simple 1 x boxes, butt joints, glued and screwed. For the top three plug drawers I used masonite for the bottoms, putting smooth side to smooth side so they slide very easily, but never move when I'm driving.

The bottom two are tool/hardware drawers, and heavy, so I used plain plywood on them.

I plan on using drawer glides on this next project.

You could buy a solid core door from a lumber yard that has damage on one side for cheap. Mount your legs to that and you are good to go. 6'8"x 30". I got mine, all birch, for 15.00. smooth, flat, solid. Paint or epoxy it and it's good for a real long time. One of mine is 40 years old now.

I built mine out of all 2x4's. I put drawers on one side with full extension slides rate up to 100lbs. Made them out of 1/2 melamine with 1/2 plywood bottoms. The top is just 3/4 plywood with 1/4 fiberboard that I can take off and replace once its life span is over. Added some corkboard to the top so I can pin stuff up like my notes when I'm reloading bullets.

View Postwork benches in my shop and my fathers are pieces of bowling alley i got out of a dumpster. about 40" x 12'.

yeah i wish i was building this bench about a year ago.. a local bowling alley posted online that they were getting new lanes and that the old wood would be placed outback for anyone to take.. i should have went and gotten some.. oh well..

thanks,

Three years ago In my new house I built mine with an oak top. But I did something I never did in all my old houses. I built it with cariage bolts so I didnt have to leave the bench when I sell this house someday lke I left all my old benches. Once I remove the six drawers the whole eight foot long bench comes apart in four sections.

Use heavy materials when building a bench. Sturdiness is what you want. I built my work bench using standard 2x4s, a very basic but functional bench. The bench top has 3/4" ply. On top of the plywood I put a layer of masonite. Overkill? Yeah probably. The masonite can be change out when it gets crapped up and its a nice smooth and hard work surface. Underneath I have 2 shelves.

Impossible to overbuild a work bench. Sooner or later you're going to mount a vise on it then eventually you're gonna want to hammer like a madman on something being held in the vise. Only the strong survive.

Carriage bolts with giant washers rule.