Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big-Ed

Hiltop Butcher Shop

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I STOPED TO GET LUNCH AND SAW THE BUTCHER SHOP AND I FIGURED WILE I WAS HERE WHY NOT GO IN...WHAT A CANDY STORE!!!heart.gifTHE MEAT SELECTION WAS GREAT AND VERRY FRESH AND THIER WERE ALSO A BUNCH OF HELPFUL BUTCHERS ON HAND TO HELP YOU OUT!! I ENDED UP WITH A COUPLE OF PACKS OF P-CHOPS ITALIAN SAUSAGE SIRLION STRIPS AND 4 LBS OF SIRLION TIPS OH AND SOME FRESH LINGUINI !! I SPENT MORE TIME IN THIER THAN I DID WORKING THAT DAY!! PRICES WERE VERY RESANABLE!!!!!! IT WAS THE ONE IN WEYMOUTH i didnt get lunch at the resturant i got a sub at a locale place and saw the butcher shop in the parkinglot and had to go in and investagate!!!!!!!!

I remember my parents used to take me to that place when I was a kid. Of course back then my palate was not so great and I didn't like steak. i probably got something like chicken fingers ha! Haven't been back since but it was featured in the travel channels best place to get a huge steak or something.

Ate there (the one in Saugus) once, way back in 1978, when I was up visiting my grandparents in Lowell.....my paternal grandfather was a bookie, and he knew everyone in the place, so we got top notch attention. Tough to remember 30 years ago, and besides, my expectations of a restaurant weren't as much when I was 18 as they are today, so tough to say if it is really any good or not.

in the restaurant, i know they serve instant mashed potatoes instead of making real. i don't remember all that much about the meat, but i wrote it off as a place to eat after seeing that.

the restaraunt is kinda lousy but the butcher shop is great and they have nice produce also!!!! i didnt get lunch at thier resturant i had got a quick sub at a locale sub shop and they were in the parking lot so i had to go in

I went there (Saugus) quite a few times in the 70's when it was the only one and Frank Guiffreda still owned it. While the steak was pretty good, my wife and I actually never ordered it as you could get a "lobster pie" which was a large portion (they claimed the meat of 2 lobsters) lobster meat in a casserole of just cracker crumbs and butter for (at the time) for around $10, including a large house salad. It was a great deal and very drool.gif The butcher shop was originally in the rear of the restaurant (a separate entrance in the back). They started doing such a big business that they built a separate building across the parking lot. The meat/product turnover was tremendous, but not surprising considering the restaurant could seat something like 1,400. Long lines on weekends, but if they said the wait was 45 min, they were almost always right.

It all went downhill fast after they sold it to a group of investors that wanted to expand/franchise it. I'm told that it has improved somewhat but I haven't been back to the Saugus restaurant and have never been to their other place.