Can you be a great fisherman without catching trophy fish?

Rate this topic

valentine

View PostBeing considered "GREAT" does connote being successful, but being successful.. even the most successful is not enough to consider someone "GREAT."

Greatness includes the style and character with which a successful person plies their craft. A Great one would perform the feats they do with a seemingly effortless approach.

This doesn't mean they're necessarily the nicest person you ever met, or that they even shower regularly, but that they do what they do better than most AND they do it in a way that leaves the rest of us in awe.

nailed it clapping.gif

Banned in Florida

With out a doubt most great fisherman are know for what they do and achieve under any given situation, not the number of large fish they kill. Some people in this day and age consider them selfs great for the number of big fish they kill. With out the bunker schools there so called greatness disappears as they are not really all around bass fisherman. IMO catching fish in a blitz doesn't make you good or great.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I'd like to chime in but Squidlips said everything I would have liked too, only so much better. I particularly liked the father not being able to catch his dick in his zipper.

No, to be great at anything you must produce results, thats the bottom line.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

If catching large fish is all that is needed to be considered a great fisherman then shoot, I better just go call a captain and go down to the CBBT to haul in some 60's. I could do this everyday of the week and consistently catch big fight right now, does that make me a great fishermen? Not one bit. If you think having large fish under your belt makes you a great fishermen then I have some ocean front property in Ohio to sell you. wink.giftongue.gif Also if you're fishing for notoriety, fame, and fortune, then I really do feel sorry for you - if you want those things go to Hollywood and put yourself in front of some camera.

In my opinion, a great fisherman is one that is publicly known for possessing certain qualities relating to fishing; however, since catching large fish is generally coveted amongst all fisherman, it is an important part of being a great fisherman.

Great fisherman are also know to be occasionally outfished by children fishing earthwormsbiggrin.gif

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

View PostIf catching large fish is all that is needed to be considered a great fisherman then shoot, I better just go call a captain and go down to the CBBT to haul in some 60's. I could do this everyday of the week and consistently catch big fight right now, does that make me a great fishermen? Not one bit. If you think having large fish under your belt makes you a great fishermen then I have some ocean front property in Ohio to sell you. wink.giftongue.gif Also if you're fishing for notoriety, fame, and fortune, then I really do feel sorry for you - if you want those things go to Hollywood and put yourself in front of some camera.

I don't think you have to catch large fish to be great, you just have to be known to catch themwink.gif . By the way, if thats how easy it is to catch 60's every day of the week sign me up.

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."