Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
valentine

Can you be a great fisherman without catching trophy fish?

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

What do you think? If you've never caught a 50, or even a 40 pounder in your life, could you ever be ranked among those considered to be "great" fisherman?

I'm thinking that just about every angler I can think of that has earned themselves a good reputation has some really big fish on their resume. Could they have earned that same reputaion with many smaller fish?

Valentine

View PostWhat do you think? If you've never caught a 50, or even a 40 pounder in your life, could you ever be ranked among those considered to be "great" fisherman?

I'm thinking that just about every angler I can think of that has earned themselves a good reputation has some really big fish on their resume. Could they have earned that same reputaion with many smaller fish?

Valentine

Who are these Fishing Historians that you speak of? Who is the Abe Lincoln of SurfCasters? Is there a Shakespeare of Montauk Skishing?

The truth is the only thing that realy matters is that you enjoy being out there. If for one minute you find yourself out there thinking; wow this will be great for my legacy, your lost. Plus the fact that it's not like your curing POLO out there or something. Even if you truly are a world class Angler. What ever that means.

I am a great fisherman cause i love watchin my kids go fishing and i care about the present and future of the sport and i try to teach these values to my kids to help the future of fishing and .............................................

... .................................................. ................................................

i might not be able to catch many stripers but there aint 1 skate that is safe around long island cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

I've been lobbying my kid's school to stop giving out grades. Those pesky A students that work so hard are giving everyone that doesn't a complex.

I would also like to see the banishment of all pro sports Hall of Fames.

Statistics? Pffttt.

There are few nose in the air guys that will disagree only because they based their worthiness on the opinions of those around them.

But if your kids think you are a great fisherman regardless if you never caught anything bigger then a keeper who's else opinion can possible matter ? The "hard core" guy you see every day of the beach because he "lives and breathes fishing"? The same guy who's wife and kids left him because the fish was way more important then them?

Lets not numb down the family structure in this country any more then we already have.

You wife and kids thing you are the greatest, well, call yourself Da Man.

View PostWhat do you think? If you've never caught a 50, or even a 40 pounder in your life, could you ever be ranked among those considered to be "great" fisherman?

Valentine

I think of a great fisherman as experienced and highly skilled.

An unskilled, inexperienced albeit lucky fisherman could land a record fish their first time out.

That would not necessarily qualify them as a "great" fisherman.

I never really thought about it. I love this thing we do, and love it with a passion. Does this passion make me great? I catch bass. smile.gif I don't catch bass.smile.gif I just love this thing we do.

View PostThere are few nose in the air guys that will disagree only because they based their worthiness on the opinions of those around them.

But if your kids think you are a great fisherman regardless if you never caught anything bigger then a keeper who's else opinion can possible matter ? The "hard core" guy you see every day of the beach because he "lives and breathes fishing"? The same guy who's wife and kids left him because the fish was way more important then them?

Lets not numb down the family structure in this country any more then we already have.

You wife and kids thing you are the greatest, well, call yourself Da Man.

Nonsense.

All kids think their dads are great fishermen as long as they are willing to take them fishing.

Then they grow older and more accomplished then the old man and realize the poor guy was a shmoe that couldn't catch his dick in his zipper.

Great fishermen catch great fish and they do it consistently.

I think the great fisherman status not only belongs to the guy who

is catching 40-50 lb, but also to the guy who cares about environment,

stock preservation and fishing etiquette.( I hope I spelled this rightsmile.gif )

I saw many so called "GREAT FISHERMAN" leaving bluefish behind on the beach, killing sea robins and skates and leaving beer cans and garbage behind.

It sounds like your definition of "great fisherman" is being confused with the definition of a competitor or a trophy hunter. What makes a great fisherman to you???

I think a "great fisherman" is a dedicated SPORTSMAN who is well educated in the ecology and environment where his sport (fishing) is enjoyed. You can catch all the 50 pounders you want, but if you kill them all, leave your trash behind, trespass, and leave a bad taste in people's mouths....how "great" of a fisherman are you????

View PostI think the great fisherman status not only belongs to the guy who

is catching 40-50 lb, but also to the guy who cares about environment,

stock preservation and fishing etiquette.( I hope I spelled this rightsmile.gif )

Those guys would be great sportsmen or outdoorsmen or conservationists. They could very well be inept boobs when it comes to fishing.

I saw many so called "GREAT FISHERMAN" leaving bluefish behind on the beach, killing sea robins and skates and leaving beer cans and garbage behind.

Obviously not great fishermen either. You can probably remove the people that see them that way from the list too.

Trust me, I know some great fishermen. They are the guys on the rung of the ladder directly above me and I'm watching them, oh yes I am. cwm13.gif