Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HookLine&Sinker

Eyes

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

the other day i picked up my first blind plug and i thought about this, do you guys think eyes really matter on a plug or jig. i know when people have a plane jighead some people paint eyes on. what do you think about it, and do you think it helps the injured baitfish look?

I think eyes are a very important stimulant/attractor for a predator. Look at the number of fish that have evolved a false eye to help fool predators into thinking they're looking at their prey's head while in actuality they are focusing on the tail end (and hopefully, as far as the prey is concerned, at least, escaping in the opposite direction).

Also, some fish have evolved to have "hidden or masked eyes". Both instances are survival traits which probably would never have evolved if predators didn't pay much attention to the eyes.

Now as far as how important eyes are on plugs, I'd think they couldn't hurt but the action of the plug probably plays a far more important role in getting a fish's interest than the presence or absence of eyes.

In clear, bright water perhaps...

In the wash, in the turbidity of this aggravated water we fish and at night kooky.gif

Eyes on a striper lure are there for one reason only....

To catch fishermen.

Eels are great bait and look at their eyes

I like my Danny's blind, because I have this notion (probably incorrect) that the way the swim can at times look a bit unnatural with eyes because they can rotate in and out of view.

I think it depends on the application... Seen video of a guy trolling for musky with his bait 2 feet behind his downriger ball and an aqua vu atached to the ball... the musky follows for about a minute, bumping it with its nose then swimming ahead a little to get a side view of the bait, before inspecting the ball, then it goes back and eats the lure.. did he think it was a fish?would eyes matter? did that fish know it was strange and eat it anyway?i dunno but i think eyes cant hurt.

I think it is much more about presentation, action and location of the plug. Bucktails rarely have eyes and they will catch anything that swims. Plastics rarely have eyes and it's the same deal.

That being said, I personally prefer plugs with eyes - it is more of a confidence thing.

Anything that rolls a lot, like a Danny should be blind. The eyes rocking back n forth will look unnatural.

For everything else eyes are a good thing, the predators key on them. This is why a lot of forage fish have false eye spots near the tail, it throws off the predators strike and gives the baitfish a chance to escape (or so they say on the nature programs)