Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cerberus

Abu 6500 Question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What is the difference, other than graphics, between an Abu 6500 C3 and a 6500 CL3?

The two I looked at are both new in current style Abu boxes, in the same store at the same price.

Is one an older model of the same thing?

A c3 will have a palming side plate, with one cast control. And the cl3 will probably have the dual cast controls, and the flat side plates. Or maybe they're just the same.smile.gif

The only consistent thing in the entire Abu model numbering system is that a CT model has no levelwind.

C + anything else means a levelwind, but beyond that, I've never been able to see any discernable pattern to what the difference is between a CL and a CS, for one example. All 7000/7500 models, for example, have flat plates and dual controls, but some are C3s, some are CSs and some are CLs. headscratch.gif

I just found this. I think it answers other questions about that CB and KC, that I didn't know.smile.gif

I was told that the CL3 does designated a reel for Wal Mart. The reels made special for Basspro used to be a 6600--- number but now they are back to using the Garcia number. The K Mart reel is a model 6500 KC3, Cabela's is a 6600 CB, so on and so forth.

...for all the replies.

After reading the reposnses and doing some other searching I had concluded that the C3 is the mainstream Abu retail model and the CL3 is a contract model made for Walmart, that differs only in graphics and material colors.

I got the schematics for both from the Abu website and they are identical, part-for-part, although they use different part numbers for the same parts on the different models.

Both the 6500C3 and 6500CL3 i saw were at Walmart this week, in new boxes and both were $80. I guess it just boils down to whichever I think looks better, there is no other difference between the two.

There is a difference between the 6500 & 6600. The 6500 has the spool release button on the side frame, while the 6600 have a thumb bar release. Same with the 5500/5600, 4500/4600 and so forth. These are also all right hand retrieve reels, any that have a "1" in place of that last zero would be left hand models. Example= 6501 would be a left hand reel. biggrin.gif

why would they make specific graphics for those stores? usually they will find a way to cut cost and make a specific model for the big box stores. i have a 550 plus. i think thats what its called. anyone tell me the deal with that one? ive never seen another one. it doesnt have any chrome all black and one thing i thought is funky, its got a plastic foot. it seems like its a cheapie but i like it for the bay.

View Postwhy would they make specific graphics for those stores? usually they will find a way to cut cost and make a specific model for the big box stores. i have a 550 plus. i think thats what its called. anyone tell me the deal with that one? ive never seen another one. it doesnt have any chrome all black and one thing i thought is funky, its got a plastic foot. it seems like its a cheapie but i like it for the bay.

some of the reels have a lot of plastic on the inside... a "black box" with all the mechanism's in it instead of metal parts you can replace.

View Postwhy would they make specific graphics for those stores? usually they will find a way to cut cost and make a specific model for the big box stores. i have a 550 plus. i think thats what its called. anyone tell me the deal with that one? ive never seen another one. it doesnt have any chrome all black and one thing i thought is funky, its got a plastic foot. it seems like its a cheapie but i like it for the bay.

I had a 650 plus. It had bushings, an A/D dog, a spring steel line out alrm.

I put a level wind with a bearing on it, Abec 5 bearings, and a power handle. It didn't have a plastic foot though.smile.gif

Hio....in the jurassic era, BIAC (before the internet, and China) the word took a long time to travel about. This goes to pricing. Back then, a ball bearing at retail for an Abu was about 25.00. That's 50.00 for a reel.

Today, depending on specs, under a dollar, to around 4-5.00

In Olden times, remove 2 bearings, and replace with 2.00 bushings, and the reel _sells for less than one with bb's._ Take away the chromed brass worm shroud, and add a plastic one, and do the same with the frame's foot, and the retail drops another notch. Enter the 550/650 and the plus versions.

I loved the shade of blue they anodized the plates for this run.

Parts that do the same thing in different reels, with different part numbers would denote a colour change for side plates, spools, brake plates, or a design change in a part, a bearing instead of a bushing, etc.

I have the 6600 and really like the thumb bar release, easy for me to use.

View PostThere is a difference between the 6500 & 6600. The 6500 has the spool release button on the side frame, while the 6600 have a thumb bar release. Same with the 5500/5600, 4500/4600 and so forth. These are also all right hand retrieve reels, any that have a "1" in place of that last zero would be left hand models. Example= 6501 would be a left hand reel. biggrin.gif

yeah i had it apart, the ar dog is a pain in the but. it only had one leg, where i have seen others with 2 legs so it rubs on both sides of the "gear" the single leg one is hit or miss. some days its flawless, others i cant use it without taking it apart and playing with it. otherwise i really like it. inside has brass gears as opposed to another older red abu (6000?) i have, thats got the leather drag and aluminum gears. it casts pretty damn good on a 7' tsunami rod. it is a funky grey blue color with all black hardware. the plastic foot, it sure is wierd, but i cant ever see it being a problem, technicaly maybe its graphite. definitely not metal. oh yea the thumb release reels are sweet. i have a record 60hc with that setup.