Plug

10x10 knot

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2004 at 2:27 PM, Spigola said:

Why not just tie a uni-knot? confused.gif You already have basically half of it tied and I am really afraid of an overhand knot with mono at any point.

Spigola

An overhand knot is nothing but a one turn uni.

Edit: Holy crap, this is probably the oldest post I've ever quoted without looking....

Edited by Kima

3 hours ago, thill said:

ZAFisher - Anything with a Uni knot in it will be bulky and tough on your guides when you cast or retrieve, especially if you use finesse tackle with small guides, as I do.    If using heavy surf gear, it may not matter.    Even so, the simple lock knot probably still stronger and is definitely faster to tie.

I use # 10's on my 6-8oz bait rods (total casting weight is roughly16oz) 8's on my 2-6oz plugging rods and 7's on my 1-4oz plugging rods, 6's down to maybe 4.5's for lighter sticks. I'm a small guide user.

But.... I use braid casting/shock leaders

1 hour ago, thill said:

Ben!

Hey, you're still around.   

How are you?

I'm well Tony, thanks for asking.

I hope you and yours are the same. It's ben a long time since we chatted. 

I'm usually the "if it's not broken, dont fix it" mentality or do things for a reason, not just because. Certain tools for certain tasks...

On the boat, It started with spyder hitches and uni to uni knots. Then switched to bimini twists for strength over the spyder hitch. Surf and FW I use the fg or uni(double uni for speed, fg for strength depending on the conditions/presentation needed, or simply the demand of the tactic. Ie finesse or power fishing or normal guides vs micro guides). Now, I've been using the Alberto for the speed asset (and it's a streamlined knot like fg) over the fg and overall have been happy. This 10x10 knot really intrigues me though and I might need to incorporate into my knot tying. 

By following the instructions,  I should be able to tie in the same time as an Alberto but should be a bit stronger.  Thank you for sharing(in 04!)!

Just wondering what is correct - the first diagram in this message shows the braid going into the mono loop from the opposite side that the mono tag end came out of the mono loop, while the video notes that the braid should go into the mono loop on the same side the mono tag came out of the mono loop.  Which is correct?

32 mins ago, L Train said:

Just wondering what is correct - the first diagram in this message shows the braid going into the mono loop from the opposite side that the mono tag end came out of the mono loop, while the video notes that the braid should go into the mono loop on the same side the mono tag came out of the mono loop.  Which is correct?

I taught Hugh how to tie the knot. The drawing is drawn slightly incorrect.  

Follow the video. The line goes in where the tag end goes out.  It will not be strong the other way.   

For what it's worth, it is rare that I use swivels.  Certain things require it, like deep dropping, rigs with sliding sinkers, and certain lures, but for the most part, I use a very clean presentation that I'm sure has increased the catch ratio.

Especially offshore, I'm sure our catch is greatly enhanced when free lining baitfish to those sharp-eyed predators.   There have been times when one person wasn't catching, and I looked at their rig, and found hardware.  Cut it off, spliced in a leader, and they start catching like everyone else.

I tie a LOT of 10x10's.   Posting the video on YouTube was partly in self-defense, as everyone always wants me to tie their knots for them.  Now, I can just tell them to look at the video at home, so they can practice it and get good at it.   This will help me be able to fish more, and not be tying everyone's leaders on for them.   A kid or first time guest, no problem, but not the guys who plan to fish with me often.  I actually duck guys who constantly need me to baby them.  I only have limited recreation time, and I need some of it for myself!

On 3/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, Kima said:

An overhand knot is nothing but a one turn uni.

Edit: Holy crap, this is probably the oldest post I've ever quoted without looking....

I agree, knot is over 15 years ago on the West Coast long range boats and down in Cabo.