Plug

10x10 knot

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Many of you have seen this knot before. There was some interest in other places as to how to tie it so while I went to the trouble of drawing it all out I thought I'd post it here.

It's used to tie braid to mono leader. If tied correctly it tests 100%. It's fast and easy and is my favorite knot for the braid/leader connection. Credit goes to Tony Hill who first showed it to me.

10X10-1A.jpg

Tie an overhand knot in the leader. Pass about 16" of braid through the loop. Like as shown in the drawing make sure the braid enters an exits the loop on the opposite side as the leader strands, VERY IMPORTANT!

10x10-2.jpg

Pull the overhead knot tight. Very tight, use pliers, pull slow and hard then pop it a few times, get it tight.

Then wrap down the leader with the 16" tag end of the braid 10 wide wraps.

10x10-3.jpg

Pinch the last downward wrap in your fingers and wrap back up the leader 10 wraps ending up back at the jam knot. Have your upwraps be spaced symmetrically with your down wraps so they will tighten up neatly.

10x10-4.jpg

Push up on the braid weave and a loop will form at the start of the wraps near the jam knot. Pass the tag end of the braid through the loop.

10x10-5.jpg

Tighten the wraps up into parallel loops by carefully pulling on both the tag of the braid and the running line. Take your time so the coils do not jump over each other and tighten evenly.

Give a good pull on the running line to seat it against the jam, trim the tag ends and there you have it.

[ 03-05-2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Plug ]

Plug thats a good looking knot. Reminds me of the Alberto knot, but starts off with an overhand knot to secure the lines together first.

Do you run into problems with the overhand knot in the thicker diameter leaders. I would think it would create too large of a profile.

Ant

It's much weaker Spig. Check it out. Take a section of braid. To one end tie on a piece of leader using a uni to uni, to the other end tie on the same type of leader with the 10X10. Wrap each section around a piece of dowel and pull. See which knot breaks first.

For those who might try this knot please note I made a mistake on step one in my original post. The braid should enter and exit the loop on the opposite side of the leader strands. The diagram and instructions are now correct. Sorry.

Amazing - have used that knot in tying leader material directly to leadcore(4-6in of lead pinched off) for years.It may be diffcult to tie(especially at NIGHT!) but it has never come loose.

Nice modification is to tie the two-wrap (uni) of the leader line over the main and its tag end AFTER you do the up down wrap of the main line over the leader. Pull the uni tight and then pull main line and tag up tight. You can finish with a Rizutto if you want to.

3 hours ago, ccb said:

Its like a Albright knot in a way?   

Yes, it's similar to an Albright, a slim beauty, an FG knot and several others.

The biggest difference is that this knot is very quick to tie.   If you watch videos of the other knots, they are like basket weaving.  They take forever by comparison.   Not something I want to do when on the water or beach, especially in the wind.

Looking back, I should have shown how fast this knot is to tie at normal speed.  Most adherents of other knots will be jealous. (Alberto's knot is one that is similar in speed, once you learn it) 

ZAFisher - Anything with a Uni knot in it will be bulky and tough on your guides when you cast or retrieve, especially if you use finesse tackle with small guides, as I do.    If using heavy surf gear, it may not matter.    Even so, the simple lock knot probably still stronger and is definitely faster to tie.

Years ago, there were lots of people testing and discussing knots, a few of them are still here on this forum, and those who learned this knot all agreed about it.

That being said, Alberto's knot is much easier to teach, and it's pretty small too.  Not quite as strong, but many are fishing much heavier line than the 10, 12 or 15 that I typically use, so it doesn't matter.   100% strength is not as important to some as it is to me.

This may not be the knot for everyone, but almost everyone I have shown this to, from fly fishermen tying on tippet, to tying top shots of mono over braid, plugging, surf, live bait, and many others, all get addicted to this knot and usually thank me later.

"The more time your hook spends in the strike zone, the more fish you will catch."   

The longer it takes to tie a good knot, the LESS time your lure spends in the strike zone. 

Faster, stronger knots equal more fish catching opportunities.