Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HDcycles

SS Bottle plug ?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

View PostWill a dressed siwash Kill the action of on a super strike swimmer or will it be fine? I'm making some hooks now just wondering.

I use Dressed Siwash hooks on just about everyone of my plugs. I hate Trebles.. I believe I used a dressed VMC 5/0 on that perticuler plug. wink.gif

But I'm sure sombody with much more experience will chime in...

Where is emgred?!?! this is right up his alley! biggrin.gifbeers.gif

View PostI use Dressed Siwash hooks on just about everyone of my plugs. I hate Trebles.. I believe I used a dressed VMC 5/0 on that particular plug. wink.gif

But I'm sure somebody with much more experience will chime in...

Still stuck in the frozen north of Canada!!frown.gif

Surfers!!!cwm13.gif Corrected your spellingtongue.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Yes 5/0 dressed siwash is the ticket. If you add a split ring the hook will "fold" into the plug when you cast thus your distance won't be adversely effected.cwm40.gif

View PostStill stuck in the frozen north of Canada!!frown.gif

Surfers!!!cwm13.gif Corrected your spellingtongue.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Yes 5/0 dressed siwash is the ticket. If you add a split ring the hook will "fold" into the plug when you cast thus your distance won't be adversely effected.cwm40.gif

lol Spelling and grammer are not one of my strong points. biggrin.gifcwm27.gifbeers.gif

Good tip with the split ring. But it will make the hook face on its side in the water. Does this matter much? I'm assuming not. confused.gif

Spring is in the air Ed! beers.gif

View Post

Good tip with the split ring. But it will make the hook face on its side in the water.

Twisting the tail wire 90 degrees with a pair of pliers will take care of that. Friggin' newbies rolleyes.gif

wink.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Good tip with the split ring. But it will make the hook face on its side in the water. Does this matter much? I'm assuming not. confused.gif

Spring is in the air Ed! beers.gif

Not up here - MINUS 7F when I went to work this morning!!!!frown.giffrown.gif

What I do is twist the tail wrap enough to have the hook line up correctly.

Friggin' newbies, LOL unless you're over 65 you're all, Friggin' newbies biggrin.gif

Do not over dress the hook, you want a sparse bucktail. Turning the wire is ok just don't over do it. The spit ring thing works on SS darters, Little neck popers etc etc. Even better on SS metal lips.

View PostTwisting the tail wire 90 degrees with a pair of pliers will take care of that. Friggin' newbies rolleyes.gif

wink.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

View PostNot up here - MINUS 7F when I went to work this morning!!!!frown.giffrown.gif

What I do is twist the tail wrap enough to have the hook line up correctly.

What would I do without you guys?? cwm31.gifbiggrin.gifbeers.gif

The difference between the two, besides Gibbs has a 2 & 3 oz wood plug and SS has a 2oz plastic is. The SS does not go down as deep as the gibbs. The lip will last longer. Was a big problem fishing in the rocks. The old SS woods were made of basswood and you could just press epoxy in and reform the lips. Gibbs would some times just snap off. You can if need be load the SS bottles. My favorite place for a Gibbs white 3 oz was under the light.

View PostThe difference between the two, besides Gibbs has a 2 & 3 oz wood plug and SS has a 2oz plastic is. The SS does not go down as deep as the gibbs. The lip will last longer. Was a big problem fishing in the rocks. The old SS woods were made of basswood and you could just press epoxy in and reform the lips. Gibbs would some times just snap off. You can if need be load the SS bottles. My favorite place for a Gibbs white 3 oz was under the light.

Thank you.

View PostI use Dressed Siwash hooks on just about everyone of my plugs. I hate Trebles.. I believe I used a dressed VMC 5/0 on that perticuler plug. wink.gif

But I'm sure sombody with much more experience will chime in...

wink.gif some lures you will learn are actually made to be swam with two sets of trebles on them. yes you can catch a fish your way. but with two trebles on that lure it will cast in the wind much better and as we all know if it ain't windy the fishing is usually not that great. as far as dressed treble. it will take alot away from your casting again it does work. dress it thin very thin no flash in it. it will also attract more bluefish dressed. which i don't want when there are bass around.either way its up to your personal selection you know mine good luck whichever way you do it. Bob

View PostFriggin' newbies, LOL unless you're over 65 you're all, Friggin' newbies biggrin.gif

Do not over dress the hook, you want a sparse bucktail. Turning the wire is ok just don't over do it. The spit ring thing works on SS darters, Little neck popers etc etc. Even better on SS metal lips.

What LI Beachrat said - less is more on the bucktail. I hope I'm still a newbie at 65 smile.gif .