Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

Listen to this bullcrap...

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Wifey is a professor at Thomas Jefferson and has had problems all semester long with this crazy student. The student is disruptive and, in all-honesty, probably mentally ill. The department head knows it and the other prof knows it. It's to the point where the department head doesn't want to send her out on clinicals since she's afraid she'll embarass the program.

Anyway, wifey just got word today that the new Dean wants my wife replaced next semester based on an anonymous complaint from a student that everyone knows is this girl. She included stuff that my wife spends her entire time in class talking about her political views, her kids being sick, Tom Cruise and Scientology, and problems with me. Wife hasn't been able to meet with anyone yet about it, but she's a combination fo furious and on the point of tears since she just reduced her time at her main position to pick up more hours teaching.

I want to go and rip this crazy girls head off.

View PostAs long as the chair and the other faculty are on her side, she should be okay. How are her student evaluations, overall?

You sound like a teacher too. Hippie, Commie, Moop, Banjo Playing, Teacher. The combination from hell.

View PostYou sound like a teacher too. Hippie, Commie, Moop, Banjo Playing, Teacher. The combination from hell.

Nah, don't tar me with THAT brush. I'm close to that world, though, currently...and my mom was a college professor, so I grew up with this ********. Lotta rats fighting over a small bit of cheese, and they can be VICIOUS.

No wonder everything is falling to sh** as far as the eye can see.

Now we have to consult attorneys b/c of a single student complain.

Not that long ago this kind of crap would have been laughable.

redface.gif

Respect for those who still want to teach.

No dean would replace a prof. based on one anonymous complaint. That's not believable.

However....

Your wife needs to focus on her teaching and department relations. There will alway be backstabbers. What she needs to do is establish an independent reputation with the dean, faculty and students as a competent and invloved person. This way, when the backstabbers start whispering in the dean's office, the dean will say, "But I have a completely different impression of this person" and he/she will not believe them.

Your wife also needs to look at her syllabus and establish better rules for controlling behaviors and establishing consequences such as this when they happen in class.

Good luck. It's always the crazy ones that get you to put things in your syllabus you didn't think were necessary.

View PostNah, don't tar me with THAT brush. I'm close to that world, though, currently...and my mom was a college professor, so I grew up with this ********. Lotta rats fighting over a small bit of cheese, and they can be VICIOUS.

Which brush do you object to? The Hippie, Commie, Moop, Banjo Playing or Teacher brush?

View PostAs long as the chair and the other faculty are on her side, she should be okay. How are her student evaluations, overall?

Pristine- the other students can't stand this girl either, but wifey is upset that this is how she's being introduced to the new dean.