Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
romadfishrman

Wondering what VS I should get

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

New to this forum. I am thinking about getting a VS100 and maybe another bigger one. The 100 I would like to use with my 7'6" st.croix. I have a 9 foot loomis and a 9 foot allstar that are heavy action. Do you think a 150 or a 200 would work or should I go bigger? I plan on throwing mostly plugs and jigs. Thanks for your help.

View PostNew to this forum. I am thinking about getting a VS100 and maybe another bigger one. The 100 I would like to use with my 7'6" st.croix. I have a 9 foot loomis and a 9 foot allstar that are heavy action. Do you think a 150 or a 200 would work or should I go bigger? I plan on throwing mostly plugs and jigs. Thanks for your help.

Welcome!

IMO the 100 is a boat reel or for rods around 7ft. The 150 on a 8-10ftr off the beach is perfect.

Welcome! Have a joke??

View PostWelcome!

IMO the 100 is a boat reel or for rods around 7ft. The 150 on a 8-10ftr off the beach is perfect.

Welcome! Have a joke??

When you say 'boat reel' ...that makes me wonder why would somebody even buy a VS for fishing off a boat?

I pair up my VS100 with a Lamiglas GLB901M (7.5') and it fits great. I use the VS150 on my Lamiglas GLB961M (8') & GLB1081M (9') and are also suited very nicely. I've used the VS150 on a 10.5' & 11.5' salmon rods and like the fit on those rods as well.

Personaly I would get the 150 and a 200. I fish righthand retrieve, so I am limited to only 15os and 250s. The 150 is a great reel for light action shorter rods I think the 100 is just a little to small. The 150 is also nice on a lighter action 9ftr. The 200 though again in my opinion is a perfect match for a heavir 9 when using larger baits. I only wish they would make one for me. So in the big picture The 150 nice for the 7 6 and better with 8s and 9s but the 200 perfect on some 9s and also can be matched to some 10s. Go with the 150 and 200 you will be extremely happy.wink.gif

I thinkk the 150 would handle all of the rods you mentioned. I use mine from medium freshwater all the way to light surf rods up to 11'.

If you think you might get two reels eventually I would go for the VS 150 and VS 250

I would take my rods down to a dealer who has the reels you are interested in stock and try them on each rod and see how it feels. I had a 9ft lite action ron arra and was dreaming of a 150 as a match. When i brought the rod to a dealer he suggested the 100. I put both reels on the rod and contemplated what i was using it for and agreed, the 100 was perfect for me. I also have 2 200s. One on a 10fter and 1 0n an 11fter. The 11 is mostly for pencils so I prefer a lighter reel on that set up. It really is preference. good luck. You will know what feels right to you and that is all that matters really.shaky.gif