Thule roof racks

Rate this topic

beret

I have a set of Thule roof racks for my Jeep and they are perfect. I can carry four poles with ease. My question is in regards to the spacing of the two racks on the roof. I currently have mine as far apart(fore and aft) as possible thinking this would give the rods the most support especially when traveling at high speeds on the highway. I notice however many others have the tow racks very close togther,maybe two feet or so apart. It would seem to me this would leave much of the rod un-supported to flap in the wind at any kind of speed....or even driving on the beach. Is this just a preference or is there a reason they should be closer together ? The only advantage I can see is that it makes it easier to release and close both arm without moving. Appreciate comments on the best placement.....thanks.

I've had them on 3 different vehicles, some were close and some were quite far away from each other. I really didn't notice any difference. How long are the rods your putting in the racks? Even if they are close together I don't see the difference in a rack on someone's bumper, they would move around just as much or more. I don't think you'll have a problem if they are close. One of the vehicles I had them on was an Escape, they were close.