How many plugs......

Rate this topic

Z

Just realized as I was responding to a "what's a blitz" thread that I lost more plugs that one night then I probably lose all year. I mean every single bucktail,shad,junior,darter and even a fixter pike, everything but a last ss darter. With bucktails, as soon ay you would set a hook your line would be cut. Sometimes the blues would just engulfed the buck and cut it. Sometimes the gill plates would do the same. With plugs you had a feeling you hooked a fish and then three other would attach themselves to the lure until the tension the put on a line which was dragging through thousands of bunker plates was too much. I mean ,I had a bad nights before but this night I emptied the bag to the last plug.I've never seen fish this insane.(at least not this size)

I still consider this one of the best nights of the year ,even thou my partner lost most of his plugs too.

What is your worst night when it comes to loosing lures?

Best I can member was 4 needles on 4 cast due to a nick in the line. Not a happy memory but pales in comparison to this night

The first time I tried braid many many years ago didn't get the word that the old clinch knot was less than whats was needed. 5 or 6 plugs tins, thinking I had a bad tip top. Also first day I discovered the need for leaders. Both hard lessons.

"It is an art performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock"

Sounds like a hellofa night Z.. I would have plugged til my bag was empty. I lost the same as chumfish, a bag of small plugs on the North Shore one night in my kayak. It doesn't hurt as much when loosing bombers though.

Probably the most po'd I got was in Florida though, as a broke college student. Bought a sure-fire plug I knew would produce (only one of course) other then my usual plastics and set out in my kayak in Tampa Bay. First few casts on the flats I hook a BLUEFISH and I see another blue cross my line and cut me off.

Even in Tampa Bay your not safe from freakn boofishbeatin.gif

I honestly didn't mind loosing all those plugs....me and my partner were giggling like schoolboys after every hook-up.

There were so many fish in the area that you would hook up and then wait and see if you can pump your rod twice before getting bitten off. Some told me that I was nutz for feeding my plugs King Neptune. Which made me scratch my head. Do people actually carry crap plugs in their bags? Because my bag only have so many slots........it must be because they are so good they catch a fish on every cast regardless where they fish so they need "spares" to take a break once in awhile wink.gif

I casted off 3 Surface Tension lures and a Pt. Jude Mullet on four casts one day last fall thanks to a bad spool of Power Pro (it was brand new line).

Went back to the car and grabbed my bait rod, plugged the rest of the day with that. I couldn't cast as far because I couldn't really load the rod with any of the lures I had, but I still caught some fish and had a good time.

go to the plug builders section thell show you all you need to make your own,they helped me and ill spend this whole season casting without a care,cause all i can lose i my own stuff instead of $$$

"a high percentage of Bernie's posts involve Jim, homosexuality and/or touching children" :naughty:

My worst day wasn't a lot of lost lures but I lost the top half of my Ben Doerr rod. I was fishing for stripers and saw a blue fish blitz going on a few hundred yards down the beach. I had no interest in the blues but was enjoying watching all the guys catching blues. The blitz was going on quite a while and I wasn't catching any stripers so I decided to hit the edge of the blitz in the hopes of a striper waiting for an easy meal. They were a little ways off the beach so I reared back for a nice long cast. I made a cast and watched as the top half of my pole went into the wash. I figured, no problem, just reel in and the lure will bring back my rod. No such luck, I also snapped off the lure. Two very nice guys tried to snag my pole from all different directions, to no avail, thanks to whoever you are. In total it was 1 lure and 1 pole, a pole that I had for seventeen years. A call to St Croix confirmed my worst nightmare, it was discontinued. I had to send the bottom half back to them and they sent me a Triumph for $50.00. The rod does not compare to the Ben Doerr series. I should have just sat back and waited for a Ben Doerr on the BST, I guess I still can. Thats what I get for trying to catch bluesmad.gif