Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Scaffolding Question

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Okay, so after 2.5 years of having a bare cinder block chimney, this Spring's project is to add stone veneer. My wife and I are still figuring out the brand and style, but it will be cultured stone of some sort. The area is about 6' across, sides are 12" deep, and the whole deal is about 25' high.

Now my question....what are my options for reaching the upper areas. Scaffolding? Or pump jacks and poles? Rent? Buy new? Buy used?

This will be a one time deal, so I don't really want to own whatever I end up needing. Also, another point of consideration....since I am doing this myself it will probably take a couple weeks/weekends for me to complete, maybe even three, so rental fees might add up quick.

Thanks!

Alan

I get a 6' long x 30" deep by 5 1/2' high scaffold (incl. cross members, wheels, outriggers w/ wheels, planks, and safety railing for $24.00 a day.

It's well worth it if you can.

Problem with that is you can only go three sections high. Which would put you, Alan, at a distinct disadvantage of 25'... wink.gif

Commercial scaffolding might work. Depends on room width and roof pitch.

View PostThe pain of that is, ya need the material/stones, and the mud with you.

What we do is use 2 sets of jacks. It gives us a platform to walk on and a platform to store materials. Ya gotta make sure you have heavy duty ladders for this to work.

Its not the easiest way to do it but its cheap and it works.

View Post Which would put you, Alan, at a distinct disadvantage of 25'... wink.gif

Hey...cwm13.gif

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I can get as tight as I want to the chimney, that's no issue at all. The base of the chimney is presently surrounded by deck.

The roof pitch is fairly steep, don't know exact slope offhand, but it's not too bad.

I have ladder jacks, but that would be a REAL PIA without somewhere to store extra material. And at present I don't have two ladders long enough to make that work, so I would have to buy another ladder anyway.

Alan

Is there a market to buy the stuff (scaffold or pumpjacks and poles) and then sell it when you are done? Have you checked to see how much a scaffold company might charge for say a months rental. I know they rent fences to secure construction sites. Wouldn't they also rent scaffolding by the month, rather than day or week?

While your at it you might consider checking into one of those eleladder things, to lift the materials and mud rather than breaking your back. I give you credit...no way I'd tackle that job myself. Serious aversion to heights....gravity is a *****...works every time. Splat.

Okay, in that case, ya go as high as you can from the floor first. Then set up some horses and planks and plywood, and go as high as you can again.

Next weekend, ya rent one or two sections of scaffolding and go again. Return them. The next weekend you rent three sections and go again. (yer gonna want a ladder now, to help erect the scaffolding and load it with materials)

Now, here I would roll the scaffolding perpendicular to the chimney, and put up an extension ladder to work off of, with someone on the scaffolding with the mud and materials. Do one side, switch, and do the other.

But if I didnt have an extension ladder, and I'm not recommending this, I'd use a step ladder on top of the scaffold, to finish the job.

If it is indeed 25', all you will need is a five foot step ladder smile.gif

If ya do it in three weekends like I said, it's $250.00 rental.

Yep, I see what your goin' for Ben, good thinkin' icon14.gif .

I figure if I can find a way to grow a foot between now and the install I could save about $128 too!!! biggrin.gif

Alan