Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striper1322

stared building my kayak trailer today

10 posts in this topic

the trailer is a 7x8 utility trailer i had for years im building it to hold 4 kayaks if need be.i used 2x2 angle iron 1/8 inch thick all bolt connections so it can be removed i will get pictures soon of the progress

heres one picture of the angle i put on still have to put some cushion type material on the angle and install wood on the trailer deck for the kayaks to sit on.2 will be able to fit in between the angles and two on top when im done

lookin good.

keep you eyes open for someone looking to get rid of a truck bed toolbox. you can take it and put it on the front of the trailer on the tongue and keep your kayak gear in it, ready to go.

Consider fastening a 1x2 to each of the crossbars with countersunk machine screws. The wood will be durable, but still be kind to your yaks.

I would weld the joints where the vert members meet the crossbars, and consider some fore/aft bracing on each side. This would tighten it up considerably and eliminate any loosey-goosiness it might have.

Great project!

View PostConsider fastening a 1x2 to each of the crossbars with countersunk machine screws. The wood will be durable, but still be kind to your yaks.

I would weld the joints where the vert members meet the crossbars, and consider some fore/aft bracing on each side. This would tighten it up considerably and eliminate any loosey-goosiness it might have.

Great project!

i was going to run another angle off the vertical to the trailer side angle with bolt connections to stiffen it up some in the beginning but its pretty solid the way it is and there isnt much weight with the kayaks but maybe ill do it anyways i like it stronger .

View Postlookin good.

keep you eyes open for someone looking to get rid of a truck bed toolbox. you can take it and put it on the front of the trailer on the tongue and keep your kayak gear in it, ready to go.

yea thats what im looking for now and some cushon material for tops of the angles