Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Circle Hooks

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Do any of you use circle hooks on your striper flies? Last winter I tied a couple dozen flies on circle hooks, but I didn't try them out on the stripers yet. I was wondering if you used them and are there certain types of flies to which you felt they were better suited.

Thanks.

TIM

i have also tied up a couple on circle hooks but have not used them yet either. im sure they will be great, pretty much auto hook up if bit. they are a little heavier then the mustad hooks i use so i will prob use them this year for some farther cast.

I'm only going to take a few light swings at this dead horse. After you search "circle hook", ask your self; what attributes does a circle hook have that you want in a fly hook?

Personally, I can't think of any.

Thanks Bigmike68 and Wendell for your responses. The other day, I was putting together some orders for more tying materials and I was deliberating about whether to add more sizes of circle hooks to my arsenal. I did a search yesterday here and it looks like a few are for, a few are against, and the majority don't think it really matters if you use them or not.....I decided to take them off the order and add a couple extra bobbins instead.....I know I'll use them!

Sorry I didn't do the search first before I posted this thread. Don't know why I didn't.....Just one of those senior moments I guess.....I just hope the senior moments don't turn into senior minutes or even longer!.....Now, where did I leave my fly rod?

TIM

A friend of mine gave me a few to try out on jetty snook. I figured if I can hook them on circles in the corner of the mouth they were less likely to chew through my shock. After going 0 for 7, I gave up on the circles. I think they would work well if you can get fish to turn on the strike, but they're pretty useless for the kind of fishing I do.

When Mustad first came out with their Signature Series, I was sent a sample pack that included the Circle Streamer hooks. ( I tied commercially then!) The only application I could see using them on is a complete dead drift, in moving water, but the fish has to turn for them to work. When I use streamers, I keep the fly moving, so don't have too many deep takes & rarely gut hook a fish, so don't use circles on my flies.

They may have some use for some types of flies & applications, but I agree with Local66, for the type of fishing I do, they just don't have a place in my fly box.

I frequently use circles on my flies. With J-hooks I occasionally hook a fish deep in the throat or gills (some days more than others) but I never do with circles. With circles I always hook the fish in the corner of the mouth or in the lips. I don't fish the flies or strike any differently with circles than I do with regular hooks and my hook up ratio is exactly the same. My observations do not support any of the conventional theories that the fish must do something special or that the angler must do something special to hook up with circles. In fact, it's just the opposite; fish them just like any other hook.

I may bring a couple of dozen circle hook flies to the Spring Fling and ask attendees to use them as a test. Of course, it won't make any difference because there are never any fish within 100 miles of a Fling!

View PostI frequently use circles on my flies. With J-hooks I occasionally hook a fish deep in the throat or gills (some days more than others) but I never do with circles. With circles I always hook the fish in the corner of the mouth or in the lips. I don't fish the flies or strike any differently with circles than I do with regular hooks and my hook up ratio is exactly the same. My observations do not support any of the conventional theories that the fish must do something special or that the angler must do something special to hook up with circles. In fact, it's just the opposite; fish them just like any other hook.

I may bring a couple of dozen circle hook flies to the Spring Fling and ask attendees to use them as a test. Of course, it won't make any difference because there are never any fish within 100 miles of a Fling!

Don't know about the fling, but likewise:verbatim.

View Post...but love them for albies and bonito.

Agreed. Most of my albie flies are tied on j-hooks, but I do use circles for some of my larger flies. When the albies are busting on larger bait, I find a larger, dead-drifted streamer often work well, and the circle hook keeps them from sucking the fly down too far and usually keeps the tippet away from their mouths. I have found that circle hooks are pretty much useless on any fly that is actively stripped to the boat.

Here is a little pogie imitation I use for albies, tied on a Mustad C71S SS #2:

P1010233.jpg