Dressing Siwash Questions

Rate this topic

FoliFish

Just started dressing my own 4 and 5/0s, and was wondering how you bulk them up, or make them appear more full, and "flare" out. My bucktail seems to lay very flat. I've attached some pics to demonstrate this. They're a little rough, and I haven't epoxied them yet.

Thanks

View PostAlso depends on the tail. Some bucktails flare up better than others.

Jigman

This is true.may I also add that the hair at the base of the tail is very hollow,this is what cause's the hair to flair the most,the more thread tension the more it flairs.This hair is also brittle.I use it as a base on my bucs.I don't like it for siwash.

Still can't undestand why guys want to bulk up the tails. Take a look at the bait fish that we're trying to imitate...YOU CAN SEE THROUGH THE TAILS. Bulk IS NOT the way to go. If you want more flare cut your hairs closer to the base of the buck tail...near its arse..they will flare a bit more than mid to tip hairs... Those that you picture are not that bad...you could shorten your tie off area a bit, but that's still not bad. Now, if it's a squid you're tryin' to imitate, a couple of long hairs tied in (pink) will help.

If u want the hair to flair, use the hair @ the bottom of the tail: Its more hollow & will flair when you wrap your thread tightly. wink.gif This will give the impression of a bigger tail without the bulk. Tie in some flash & youre good to go. beers.gif Look at the ASWF dot org website for spinning deer hair & tying flies. Unbelieveable! wink.gif

Tight Lines!  :wave:

NYChaz
Casting Surfcaster.jpg

View PostI don't see anything wrong with those. In fact, I prefer that look to the bushy look, especially for swimmers.

Bernzy

^^ Me Too

If you really gotta, confused.gif

You can flair the hair by wrapping thread to form a ball, say a 1/4 inch from the hook eye, then tie in your bucktail at the front of the tread ball.

That will flair it.smile.gif

DMag

View PostIf u want the hair to flair, use the hair @ the bottom of the tail: Its more hollow & will flair when you wrap your thread tightly. wink.gif This will give the impression of a bigger tail without the bulk. Tie in some flash & youre good to go. beers.gif Look at the ASWF dot org website for spinning deer hair & tying flies. Unbelieveable! wink.gif

yup I learned how to tie bucktail from the Candy Man himself smile.gif

Learn to Swim...