Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WoodyCT

Scroll Saw Recommendations

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Searched around here and got some info, but it was a bit dated.

What's a decent one for under $200, and what are the features I need?

Thanks for the help,

Jon

View PostI bought one years ago , only to realize all I needed was a band saw. I'll sell you mine if you need one. I might have used it twice.

I have access to a bandsaw, but would like a smaller, safer tool for roughing out hand carves, as well as for my 9yo son to work on.

Model, features, price, location?

My camera battery is charging....

It's a Delta 16" variable speed scroll saw w/ Quickset 2 Blade Changing Feature.

I had an old beater that died before this one, then I got this and looking at it, I honestly can't tell if it has been used. Got manual for it too.

I'll dust it off and snap a pic if you'd like. I'll be at Stripercrazy's house fri (RI) , you a friend of Eddie's? if so we could meet there or I could drop it with him , make exchanging it much easier.

$100

johnny

Woody, I agree with Go. I have a very good scroll saw and it is not a tool I would go to for plug building. With a band saw, you will find a lot more opportunities to use it for both plug making and other home uses. Many feel, if you had to pick one tool for cutting for a shop, a band saw would be the most useful. A scroll saw can cut 1"-1 1/2" thick stock but it does not like it and the blade tends to dull and wander.

As for your nine year old, teach him the right way to use the band saw and only allow it to be used when your around. It is a dangerous tool but any tool is dangerous and must be respected.

View PostWoody, I think a 9" bandsaw with a finish blade will get you everything you need, right around $100

View PostWoody, I agree with Go. I have a very good scroll saw and it is not a tool I would go to for plug building. With a band saw, you will find a lot more opportunities to use it for both plug making and other home uses. Many feel, if you had to pick one tool for cutting for a shop, a band saw would be the most useful. A scroll saw can cut 1"-1 1/2" thick stock but it does not like it and the blade tends to dull and wander.

As for your nine year old, teach him the right way to use the band saw and only allow it to be used when your around. It is a dangerous tool but any tool is dangerous and must be respected.

I have access to my dad's nice bandsaw, but I have to drive 15 minutes each way to use it, and that limits my spontaneous shop time options. Just looking for something cost effective and safe to speed things up and reduce the amount of planing and sanding I do at home.

View PostMy camera battery is charging....

It's a Delta 16" variable speed scroll saw w/ Quickset 2 Blade Changing Feature.

I had an old beater that died before this one, then I got this and looking at it, I honestly can't tell if it has been used. Got manual for it too.

I'll dust it off and snap a pic if you'd like. I'll be at Stripercrazy's house fri (RI) , you a friend of Eddie's? if so we could meet there or I could drop it with him , make exchanging it much easier.

$100

johnny

Please post some pics Johnny.

is the way to go, both sit in my shop, only one gets used, no nine year old boy should be allowed to use a bandsaw, but I would not think twice about teaching someone that age to use a scrollsaw, in fact I have done it, many times, no guessing here, your sons fingersconfused.gif c, mon woody, the man has got a great one for ya, buy it

In my first post I stated a bandsaw was all I needed , for plugs, he's looking for a scroll saw , for his son? and I mentioned I got one i'm not using...I'm NOT saying this is a tool for plug building , just answering his original post. Scroll saw can be really cool for woodworking, they have books full of templates and you can cut out all types of shapes or scenes, this would be good for his son, as far as plugbuilding, like I said all I need is a bandsaw.

View PostI think a 9 year old near a band saw is scary < I get scared near mine cwm31.gif

try grizzly stuff 16" variable speed $99 ~ 22 " $129

I looked at those online and the reviews were atrocious.

I don't even want a bandsaw in the basement where junior could try it out without me around.cwm31.gif

Waiting for battery...redface.gif

My worktable, on the saw, has a much bigger table than the 99 Grizzly , with scroll saws you want the work piece supported , and it has the big rubber feet too, which helps cut out any vibration.

Figures , begining of winter I cleaned the shop and tossed all my template books.

I will post pics when camera is ready.

Woody- I have a DeWalt 788. The Scroll Saw is a great tool to introduce your son to woodworking. It is pretty dang safe to use and if you happen to get a finger on/in front of the blade, human reaction speed is quick enough that you are only looking at a "deepish" paper cut vs. removal. The SS is also useful for cutting the profiles of handcarved baits. You can even do "compound cuts" with the SS to speed up shaping and reduce some sanding. The worse accident I've had with a SS is that I was using too much side pressure on a very small (2/0), dull blade. When it broke in half, it came down right between the nail and cuticle of my thumb making a stab if you will. Not much bleeding, but very tender for a few days......lesson learned, no repeats since.

As Skippy said, there are a ton of patterns in various themes for your son to explore. Before long, he may be receiving requests for gifts from family members, don't ask how I know. Plus, Dad may see some things he likes as well.

Here are some examples.