Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
23mako

Need advice please

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I am hoping to get your advice on my next fishing rod. I probably will not build it but am willing to have a custom one made. I do most of my fishing on a 23 foot boat off Cape Cod fishing for Stripers, blues, bonito, false albacore as well as fluke black sea bass and anything else out there. I have been using Penn and ugly stix for years now with spinning reels and I was thinking of investing in at nice fishing rod but I am not sure if the investment is worth it what makes g loomis , ST Croix or others worth the extra cash. Also is having a custom rod built worth the extra money versus buying one off the shelf. headscratch.gif

My thought is that if you can't find what you are looking for on the shelf then by all means have one custom made, provided you can part with the money. I will be having two twin surf rods custom made soon simply because I can't find what I'm looking for. $4,000.00 is a small price to pay to make me happy. You can't take it with you. I say go for it. smile.gif

-2bigsteve

View PostMy thought is that if you can't find what you are looking for on the shelf then by all means have one custom made, provided you can part with the money. I will be having two twin surf rods custom made soon simply because I can't find what I'm looking for. $4,000.00 is a small price to pay to make me happy. You can't take it with you. I say go for it. smile.gif

-2bigsteve

$2,000 a rod?

If you need any more, PM me... I will use all titanium components for yousmile.gif

View Post$2,000 a rod?

If you need any more, PM me... I will use all titanium components for yousmile.gif

Yeah, um not to step on CD's toes but for half that I'll give ya all Titanium and spend at LEAST 20 hours on the dec wrap, some trim bands, heck I'd even outsource the grips from B40 biggrin.gif Little St. John's crosses under the guides.............. you name it.

View PostYeah, um not to step on CD's toes but for half that I'll give ya all Titanium and spend at LEAST 20 hours on the dec wrap, some trim bands, heck I'd even outsource the grips from B40 biggrin.gif Little St. John's crosses under the guides.............. you name it.

Back off biatch, I will go 30 hrs on each wrap, use all silk from a sows ear, and go with rare, exotic stabilized wood and fossilized goodies, as well as make a birdseye maple presentation case for each rod.

p.s. I am a cabinet maker tootongue.gif

dont listen to ralph and CD, they'll surely use cheap components and imitation titaniums made in china.

ii'll take $1500 and i'll inlay a cannabis leaf in your rod!!!shaky.gif

525naughty.gif

Whether it's worth it for the additional expense is really up to you. IMO, toomany people buy custom rods, or even high priced off the shelf rods for teh wrong reasons. Tehy just want to keep up with the Jones's adn tell everyoen they spent...I dunno $1,000 on a rod, lol.

What is wrong with your current set up? What woudl you like to change? I can tell you this - moving from an Ugly Stick to an all graphite high end rod is a big step up. You might want to look into a mid-range composite rod/blank, this way it's not as stiff or expensive, and you're comfortable fishing with it. If you have to ask "if it's worth it", then it's probably not.

View Postdont listen to ralph and CD, they'll surely use cheap components and imitation titaniums made in china.

ii'll take $1500 and i'll inlay a cannabis leaf in your rod!!!shaky.gif

Attachment 215506naughty.gif

I'm down for one!!biggrin.gif

View PostWhether it's worth it for the additional expense is really up to you. IMO, toomany people buy custom rods, or even high priced off the shelf rods for teh wrong reasons. Tehy just want to keep up with the Jones's adn tell everyoen they spent...I dunno $1,000 on a rod, lol.

What is wrong with your current set up? What woudl you like to change? I can tell you this - moving from an Ugly Stick to an all graphite high end rod is a big step up. You might want to look into a mid-range composite rod/blank, this way it's not as stiff or expensive, and you're comfortable fishing with it. If you have to ask "if it's worth it", then it's probably not.

Killjoy!!tongue.gif