Soft baits in Southwest FL (somewhere from Venice down to Naples)

Rate this topic

albacized

By the time I make it down in July, it's going to be 'white bait' season down in that area (from what I understand). I'll probably be doing a good amount of flyfishing but already have a thread asking about flies to use in that area at that time. But if I chose to spin fish, would sluggo fin-s minnows/Zoom Flukes (weightless) work well in the surf during the early morning hours? How about plugs and/or other soft plastics. I presume white/light colors would work pretty well. I'm looking at snook from the surf and some backwater whatever (maybe redfish, small tarpon, etc). I'm good with knowing what works for other small game (spanish macs, ladyfish, jacks, etc)

On another note, I often read about using pearl w/red head spooks working on redfish on various glass flats. Is that something that would work in July as well?

Overall I plan on fishing early mornings (probably from 5 or 6 through 9 AM), do the 'family thing' during the days, then putting another hour or so into it during the evening, after dinner. I hear that mid day isn't so good during the summer while shore fishing.

I fish a lot in the marco island area during the summer months for snook and i have had the most success with yozuri lures, especially the yozuri suspending l-minnow in silver and green, besides that any mirrolure will catch you snook. If you want snook do not be like the amateur angler who casts straight out from the beach, cast horizontal to the beach right in the in front of where the waves break. Fish until noon because once the sun is up you can sight cast for the big snook.

OLD FAT GUY LURES