Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal

What is "cooking oil"?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I have a bag of frozen hash browns I wanna make...Just looked at the instructions and it calls for "cooking oil". cwm13.gif

I found some "extra light olive oil"...Will that work?

Cooking oil is just about any vegetable oil. How high does it tell you to set the heat? Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point so you'll want to be careful with that. If you keep it under say 350 degrees, you should be fine I guess.

What I do is use that Pam spray for such foods. I have to flip 'em frequently to keep 'em from burning, but I don't want the food saturated with oil.

Thaw first, though.smile.gif

View PostI have a bag of frozen hash browns I wanna make...Just looked at the instructions and it calls for "cooking oil".

I found some "extra light olive oil"...Will that work?

And olive oil is better for you than any other....

View PostNo, it's what we use to beat men with.....as in cast iron skillet.....cwm27.gif

Not to steal the post. But this brought back a memory. I was a fire dispatacher. One night the emergency phone rang. It was a lady who I worked with on the dept. She was yelling that she had hit him. I asked her what she hit him with. She said. With a dam frying pan and I hit him so hard it got a dent!

View PostCooking oil is just about any vegetable oil. How high does it tell you to set the heat? Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point so you'll want to be careful with that. If you keep it under say 350 degrees, you should be fine I guess.

You lose all nutritional value and the flavor of olive oil if you use it as regular cooking oil (vegetable oil, corn oil, peanut oil). I only use olive oil at room temps on pastas, salads, or use it with low heat on some dishes.

I use canola oil if I am going to deep fry. It is supposed to be the "healthiest" of the cooking oils because of it's low saturated fat content, Deep fried foods should not be greasy nor oily after cooking.

The most common cause of oily foods is cooking when the oil temperature is too low. Best all around deep frying temperature is +375*f and don't overload the fryer which will drop the temperature too low.

Don't use olive oil for some of the reasons mentioned above. Some other types of oil will leave their signature taste on certain food also, so you might have to fool around with a couple types.

Get a digital candy or cooking thermometer to check your oil temperature if you are using a pan on the stove. The best setup is a dedicated deep fyer with a thermostatic control,but it does require quite a bit of oil to fill and fry properly.