Sunglasses for fishing streams/rivers

Rate this topic

Stephen1

I have seen discussions on the best sunglasses for various SW environments and conditions, but never for streams and rivers. I fish in both streams and small rivers ie; Millers and Deerfield in Mass and a few others in NH. In these environments there is sometimes bright, unflitered sunlight as you would find in the salt. However, small rivers and streams are often treelined which produce deep shadow, especially in the early morning and late afternoon. When fishing in these conditions it is critical to locate where the trout are holding. I use the same Smith Optics, copper/amber, for both SW and FW. Should I be using different glasses? If so, what do you recommend?

Steve

For me, I like copper/brown for bright days and amber for dark or overcast. BUT... If the sun is not out, but diffused by clouds, all polarizing lenses do a very poor job, or rather can't do a good job due to the un-polarized (scattered) light.

The amber will increase contrast though which indeed helps in seeing movement and allowing us a bit deeper look into the holes in the glare.

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

I have just looked at all the major sunglass companies offerings for 09 as I am in the business. The above recomendations that you get either copper or amber are correct. However no two copper lenses are the same. Some companies mix in brown to make them darker. Some are almost dark red in color and others are light pink. They all serve a purpose but in changing light conditions you almost need two pair.

There are alot of companies now making high quality glasses that come with three diferent colored lenses that you change out as you need to. They only come in plastic however. Glass lenses are always clearer then plastic and glass is more scratch resistant.

The ultimate glasses for the conditions you describe would be a glass pair of photochromic rose lenses. This lense will lighten and darken instantly as conditions change. Years ago it took many minutes for the change to occur. Now they change almost instantly as you work you way from shadows to light.

My favorite two brands are Hobie and Smith.

I do not like amber lenses because of the color distortion.

BARRELL

I've used a few over the years and although what Barrel says is true about the amber/brown/copper family of colors changing the colors, I like the way they change the colors as they increase contrast. I use a pair of fishing sunglasses for daily wear as well and there've been times it becomes overcast and raining that I find I can still see better with the sunglasses on because of increased contrast. I recently got another pair and I went with the Smith Action Optics Factor that has 4 sets of interchangeable lenses to cover a whole spectrum of conditions. I have grey tint sunglasses and I find that I do not like them for daily wear as they do not increase contrast which is important to me and that is what you want on shallow water to be able to spot fish.

I have not found glass to be any discrnible difference in clarity in trying out sunglasses - I have 20/15 vision and my test is to try on different sunglasses and look at very small text in the distance and I cannot see a difference between a good pair of plastic and glass lenses from the same manufacturer. Where I do see the difference is between different manufacturer's - some just plain make better lenses.

polarized is the first key.

color of the lense after that isn't as important as gradient.

I wear Oakley Half Jackets and have about 6 different sets of lenses for them.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

View PostLikwid, what exactly do you mean by gradient?

Oakleys although very cool looking do not hold up. The lenses scratch way to easily and the finish on the lense does not hold up in the salt. Gradient usualy meens their is a darkening in the top , bottom or both when you look through the lense. Very few companiies do a true gradient lense anymore. Vuarnet made it famous and they still do it. Quite a few do a fak egradient by mirror coating the outside surface top and bottom but when you look through them from the inside there is not a true top and bottom darkening. Either way you dont want that type lense for the dark stream conditions you were asking about. They are designed for snow glare.

BARRELL

Well, I guess the copper/brown/amber tones are best, even for streams. I will look into rose too. I wonder how well the glasses that allow you to change lenses hold up over time. I don't mind the affect on true colors with amber lenses. It seems to me that contrast is what is most important in spotting fish. Maybe I could use military night vision goggles for low light conditionsbiggrin.gif

Steve

i found a pair of serengetti's on the river last year. figure if i left them there someone would take them. posted them on boards and no one claimed.

phenomenal bronze/amber lens, glass, polarized.

i look like a total dweeb in them as they don't fit but i can't let them go.

i fish a pair of orvis glass aviators. fit great. amber lens.

get a good pair of strap to keep them on your head so you don't loose them, unless you want me to find them.

Formula 1 ,

Maybe plastic lenses are as good optically as glass but they are not as good as regards scratching. Plastic lens are a nightmare for that. A season on a small overgrown brook will trash mine. I have to wear these ridiculous Cacoon sunglasses over my prescrition specs. They let in light at the forehead and around the sides of the eye. Not so bad over here but in places where the sun really shines it's crap. I can't afford prescription sun glasses and they do not cover the eyes fully anyway like wrap around sun glasses do , well some of them.

As to colour of lens for low light and variable light on a stream I like amber. I don't mind what colour rendition is as long as I can see the fish. I will take off the glasses at times as naked eye can sometimes work best.

Mike