Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfGuy85

anchor system

14 posts in this topic

im looking to do a few mounts on the kayak. im definetly interested in an anchor system but i dont want rope laying around thhe boat. how do i go about mounting an anchor system the right way?

also looking into a good compass, any preferene on models or mounting techniques?

Google and look into Ritchie Navigation. They have a compass series for everything including kayaks. I chose the Dash Mount X-21BB on my old Malibu Extreme. Looked cool mounted in dash and lit up at night powered off my fish finder battery. Unfortunately when I switched kayaks I didn't have a decent mounting space to install an in dash mounted compass.

I now go with an on board GPS when needed for navigation and have an inexpensive compass that stays in my PFD just in case.

I don't use an anchor system on my kayak but if you google "Anchor Trolley" you will find video's and pics for step by step installation.

You could simply mount a 4 -4 inch pastic cleats if you want to stay away from a complete system. That would give you four different anchor points which may suffice. In 20 years of yak fishing I have never used an anchor.

I don;t use an anchor often usually down in the everglades to hold in a mangrove creek. I made one for my tarpon 160i that is not permenant. I can put it on and take it off using carabiners. Works well. Scott

View PostYou could simply mount a 4 -4 inch pastic cleats if you want to stay away from a complete system. That would give you four different anchor points which may suffice. In 20 years of yak fishing I have never used an anchor.

how bout for flounder fishin??

i can see not using one in heavy current. i wouldnt want that happening to me in the middle of the night. cwm31.gif i read of a member on sol using a large 12/0 hook with the barb and point filed down. they used it to secure to pilings with a short rope. if something bad went down the hook easily was released from the structure.

You could simply mount a 4 -4 inch pastic cleats if you want to stay away from a complete system. That would give you four different anchor points which may suffice. In 20 years of yak fishing I have never used an anchor.

I think this is one of the best bets to avoid a anchor trolley system. Install two on the front half- and two on the back half of your yak. If you want your anchor in front, just loop it ones around the the front cleat but tie it secure to the cleat closed to you for quick release.

Personally I don't see why not just using the trolley system. With a little bit of creativity, you can build yourself a "snap on" trolley system by using pulleys attached to a piece of rope which you can "snap" on a deck loop.

View Posthow bout for flounder fishin??

i can see not using one in heavy current. i wouldnt want that happening to me in the middle of the night. cwm31.gif i read of a member on sol using a large 12/0 hook with the barb and point filed down. they used it to secure to pilings with a short rope. if something bad went down the hook easily was released from the structure.

That was me. I always have my shark hook on a short rope to hook to a piling. I dont use it a lot for fishing now with a foot drive but when I get a snag on my reel or I want to tie on a new lure Ill hook up so I can stay near the bridge lights an see what Im doing.

Fluke fishing I always drift or even more efective is to slow troll. Trolling for fluke will catch more and bigger fish then drifting.

I was just playing with my trolley today as I head to everglades on Wednesday. I have the tarpon 160i. I have a piece of rope that goes from front handle to back handle and back with a carabiner on each end, the line runs freely though them. I have the ends of the line attached to a single carabiner that acts as a ring for attaching the anchor to. So, I set the anchor and run a loop of the line into the carabiner that goes fore and aft, and set my yak angle by moving the carabiner fore and aft. I have the end of the ine in my yak, but looped through the 'biner so I can control the angle of my yak, if I get ito trouble I let the whole rig go and the float on the end of the anchor marks my anchor. Since I am only looped though the 'biner I totally disconnect. Has worked well for me so far. But I avoid heavy currents and dicey situations. Scott

View PostThat was me. I always have my shark hook on a short rope to hook to a piling. I dont use it a lot for fishing now with a foot drive but when I get a snag on my reel or I want to tie on a new lure Ill hook up so I can stay near the bridge lights an see what Im doing.

Fluke fishing I always drift or even more efective is to slow troll. Trolling for fluke will catch more and bigger fish then drifting.

the other flounder dude! wink.gifbiggrin.gif

imma hafta try the shark hook thing this spring! icon14.gif

View PostI was just playing with my trolley today as I head to everglades on Wednesday. I have the tarpon 160i. I have a piece of rope that goes from front handle to back handle and back with a carabiner on each end, the line runs freely though them. I have the ends of the line attached to a single carabiner that acts as a ring for attaching the anchor to. So, I set the anchor and run a loop of the line into the carabiner that goes fore and aft, and set my yak angle by moving the carabiner fore and aft. I have the end of the ine in my yak, but looped through the 'biner so I can control the angle of my yak, if I get ito trouble I let the whole rig go and the float on the end of the anchor marks my anchor. Since I am only looped though the 'biner I totally disconnect. Has worked well for me so far. But I avoid heavy currents and dicey situations. Scott

This is pretty much my setup too. It's worked well for me for the past three years.

I've found that I use my anchor trolley more and more these days. Especially when I brdge fish at night. Sometimes the fish are hanging in one spot under a bridge, and, between the bridge structure, the wind and the current, you just can't line up properly to make effective casts for an extended period of time (even with the mirage drive). In most cases, I can use the trolley to point the bow right at the fish, hang there and make cast after cast at the same spot without touching the paddle, rudder control or the pedals. The trolley has def put me on more fish.

There are a few drawabacks:

Sometimes It gets in the way when landing fish, and all that line on the side of the boat is a treble hook magnet.

View PostTrolling for fluke will catch more and bigger fish then drifting.

Absolutely! And, when the current is ripping and the drift is too fast for a yak, I power troll against the current. It works great!